| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
347
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,180 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 | So, I blew a head gasket. Have removed everything required for removing head. Is this something that can be manhandled by 2 people? Any special tricks to make the job easier? Anyone in Orlando area know a reliable machine shop to recondition the head? Thanks, Bill
Last edited by Bill Hig; 03/27/2015 7:41 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I believe it weighs 85 lbs. I would have left the manifold on to help break it loose. A hint for installing it, use a couple of guide bolts to hold the gasket in place. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 | I did break it loose with the manifold before I removed it.Where can you get guide bolts? That would help with installation. Bill
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 | Just cut the head off some cheap bolts the right length and thread. Just install them finger tight so they are easy to remove after you have several regular head bolts started. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 241 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2011 Posts: 241 | Make sure you get them to magniflux test the head for cracks. I have had 2 heads in for testing and both had cracks. The head I had just bought was said to be pressure tested but as my machinist said at 30 pounds of pressure a cold head can hold air. Once the head heats up under use the crack can open up. Now to search out another head for me…
Mark
P.S. they do weigh about 80-85 lbs so be careful lifting. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I used to pick them up myself at one time. If you are average strength & in good shape you can do it. 2 men no trouble at all. If you cut a slot in the guide bolt, you can use a screw driver to help remove it.
Last edited by Wrenchbender Ret.; 03/28/2015 3:07 AM.
They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 | Thanks for the help.. Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2012 Posts: 1,214 | I removed the head on my 216 by myself and learned my lesson well, I used a young strong SIL to help with the reinstall.
If your a one man band use a hoist or chain fall. Remove the rocker assembly and bolt the lift to the rocker tower bolt holes. Don't use the rocker bolts get some shorter ones.
I found it easier to reinstall the manifolds to the head on the bench then reinstalled the head as a unit.
Good luck Dave | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | What I do is make a protective support on the fender. I climb in, stand on the frame and lift the head onto the platform. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 |
Last edited by Bill Hig; 03/28/2015 4:55 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 | As you can see from previous post I don't have this picture thing down yet...Still a newbie... B | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | After the fact....if you have a friend that can help I like to turn the head cross ways and then, both of us learn over the fender and pick it up, walk forward with it.
...and as said, use guide bolts for sure when putting it back on. I used a couple lengths of "all thread" or threaded rod, as some call it and it worked just great. Good luck Bill Hig. Let us know how things go. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 19 | Threaded rod seems the way to go... Thanks, Bill | | |
| |
| |