I just got done installing and testing out my 3 speed overdrive in my 1958 Suburban. The trans works great.
The problem now is that I'm easily reaching speeds I've never gotten to before. Now when I get to 60mph I start to get a bad shaking on the front left side. I can't be positive, but that's where it feels like its coming from. At 65-70 it gets pretty violent to the point I'm afraid a wheel might break off or something.
Before I installed the new trans, I had taken the tuck up to 65 or so without any real issue. The only thing that has changes is the trans itself. I put in new u-joints also. Before I took the truck out on the road I ran it through the gears on the jack stands and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I'm pretty sure the issue is speed based and not engine/trans rpm based.
During the trans install I did jack the truck up and down several times. I'm wondering if I screwed up something in the front suspension. Based on the amount of caked on grease, it looks like the parts are either original equipment or very old. They look okay to me but I don't know any better. I'm like a pig staring at a wristwatch when it comes to suspension parts.
I thought about the wheels needing to be balanced but wouldn't that issue have presented itself earlier?
Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Larry_58_Burb; 05/28/2013 8:23 AM.