Hi Kurt. Very good point on the vacuum leak. I hadn't considered the diaphragm as a source.
The vacuum advance may be bad, I still need to check it (snowing here at the moment). However, its currently still unhooked from my having set the timing using the vacuum gauge and the line to the carb is temporarily taped off.
I also bypassed the wiper unit to see if maybe that was leaking. It didn't seem to be, but I replaced the line from the intake just to be sure.
I'll have to take a peak at the idle screw to make sure, but if I remember correctly its steel (I'll check ).
I do know its clean. I soaked everything in solvent before rebuilding the carb, and looked for damage that might have been caused by over tightening etc. Not that I couldn't have missed something I guess.
Off to get a ballast resistor...