I have an ongoing rough idle issue with my 1960 235 that I just cant seem to crack. I thought I might ask here as to what to check next. I'm sure I'm guilty of replacing rather than being able to isolate the problem...but that's why I'm here.
When I start the engine it runs smooth for a moment until it builds oil pressure, and then it starts to run rough. It does not seem to be a consistently timed rough idle, so I had thought an electrical problem was a likely cause.
I tired the following solutions:
-new plugs and wires
-new points and condenser
-new rotor and cap
-timing both to the flywheel mark, and set by vacuum
none of these seem to help so I started looking at potential mechanical causes:
-I sprayed starting fluid around the intake looking for leaks, nothing.
-Then I switched out the carb from a Rochester to Carter YF, but no significant change.
-I've also adjusted the valves. No obvious issues with either lifters (hydraulic) or the push rods.
So...what would you check next? Would a rich fuel mixture cause the issue. I rebuilt the YF myself, so maybe I have the float set wrong. Its getting a bit frustrating, I want to drive my truck.