Hi Orchidskip,
Yes, this plan has been mentioned before and I believe it is a good one. The problem is that most people want to convert to tapered roller bearings in conjuction with the disk brake conversion. As of yet, no one has found bearings that are a direct fit that meet all the requirments. Under exploration at this time seem to be two approaches. One is to find an axle that will replace the 3/4 ton unit that has the brakes that are wanted, or at least to find a spindle that will mount the brakes and rotor. The other approach is to try to use a Chevy C2500 hub and rotor on the existing spindle. The roller bearing could be made to fit by turning the 3/4 truck spindle slightly. The only thing that is unkown at this time is if the depth of the C2500 hub provides the correct placement of the bearings on the the 3/4 ton spindle. I think that is where we are now! With all these minds working on the problem, exploring different approaches, I am sure the job will get done, it is just interesting to see in unfold.
Rick