Bill,
Like Billy Marlow, I mainly haul my trucks around on a gooseneck. Mine is 20 foot (with a beaver tail). Like the others are saying, a tag along trailer is simply out of the question. The gooseneck is the way to go.

Even though mine is only tandem singles, I am still able to haul same as Billy -- GVW of 14,000 lbs. I did haul a '49 Mack (EH?) Pumper truck about 40 miles once -- waaaaaaaaay over loaded, but it proved the supremacy of the G/N set up (equipment did fine, BTW). Here's a shot of my rig in action hauling Mike Roache's truck.

Billy's trailer is nearly ideal with the low deck (Mine is more of a farm trailer with the deck over the wheels -- gives more useable space on the trailer, but the CG is too high with a tall vehicle. So you will want a low deck and I'd recommend tandem dual wheels to give you the GVW you'll need to haul 10,000 lbs

Pretty rugged g/n trailers can be had in the $4,500 and up price range (I paid $4,500 for mine in '03). When I replace it in a few years, I will seriously consider one of these g/n trailers. I always check out the trailers at shows and I haven't seen any better than these. They're probably pricey, but I doubt you'd ever have to replace it.

You have the right towing vehicle and you have a beautifully restored fire truck -- just don't go cheap on the trailer.

See you in Winchester!

John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)