Bill, I have d-rings welded on the front and back of the trailer. I use rachet straps to hold the truck to the trailer. I know a lot of people don't like straps because they say the loosen up over time. I have never had that happen, ever. On a tractor forum that I used to go to, there was a thread about straps and how the poster preferred chains and binders because he knew someone who lost a tractor off the trailer. Again, if properly used I think they are just as safe. If you look at tractor trailers going down the road you see straps used most of the time to secure their loads. I use axle straps to prevent scratching. I plan on replacing mine soon as they are no about 5 years old. There are no visable signs of wear on them but I think it would be the safe thing to do. I will buy the same straps again, which of the ones I have seen offered have a little higher capacity . I bought mine from Northern tools or AW Direct. Also, I cross the straps at both ends.
I think these are the ones I have or very similar.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_21895_21895