truckernix - I agree and understand that some things are best left alone, especially the old and frail. It just appears that the innards could have been tidied up a bit more and a little more care taken in checking the wiring and components. If you take a look at this photo , that I took before I cleaned the radio, you'll notice a flat bent brass dohickey just to the left of the coiled wire. That dohickey went missing while the radio was vacationing in S.C. Here is the photo showing no dohickey . Now, I have no idea what function that part used to perform, but hope its like a tonsillectomy and isn't something really needed and can be removed without problems.

I apologize for this rant but the outcome is not what I envisioned. Hopefully, Justin will visit this thread again and give me his input on the BAR vs. his solution.

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.