Justin,

Somehow I missed your post and want to thank you for the valuable information. Believe me, its certainly not more than I want to know.

I received the radio back today and externally it looks okay, although its beyond me why they put some rusty screws back on the cover and painted over the SN. The owner did discount the job by a $100 since they didn't do the conversion as I requested.

Take a look at the restored radio photos here. As you can see they supplied me with a BAR (Big arse resistor) for mounting on the firewall. Your solution seems much more elegant to me and leaves me wondering why they didn't go that route.

I did ask repeatedly why they didn't convert the filaments to 12V and the owner told me several times that it was "very very difficult" on this particular radio. If you take a look at the pre-restoration photos what do you think?

I'll take the cover off later and see what exactly they did inside.

Thanks again for your detailed response.

Don


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.