I spoke to Randy (aka fifthave) at Fifth Avenue garage this morning and basically he told me that there was no good way to run a 6 volt radio in a 12 volt system and that trying to do so would result in premature failure of the radio. Of course, he also said that converting the radio to 12 volts was the way to go.
When I spoke to D&M they basically said that Randy didn't know what he was talking about and that the unit would be fine running on a BA resistor. I reminded them that one of their competitors had quoted me a price for the 12 volt conversion close to what I was being billed for a 6 volt restoration. I've got a feeling that I'm going to get screwed on this deal.
In some ways I am now wishing I would have just stuck with the original 6 volt generator in the truck, but the consensus seems to be to convert over to 12 volts for ease of starting, brighter lights, etc. :hammering:
