What's up with the Grain Chute?
The story as I got it, the first owner owner was a North Dakota farmer. If he was like my grandpa, he could never justify owning a truck he would only use during harvest. These guys would install large wooden side racks (that is what my front clip is resting on in the bed). The side boards would allow a much larger cargo of grain. Once ya get to the Farmer's Co op elevator, ya raise the handle on the grain chute and out comes the grain.
In my granpa's case, he had a late 50's Chev without a grain chute. The guys at the elevator would actually raise it on the dump hoist after opening the tail gate. One of those things that stand out in my memory of trips to town was that old truck on the dump hoist. The whole road bed in the grain elevator raised up putting the truck almost vertical. Grandpa bought a used 54 Chev with a hoist box in 74 or 75 so no more using the pickup to haul the grain.
Based on the amount of soy beans I found in my truck, I am guessing that is what the deal was.
My thoughts for now....the grain chute goes when I get a new tail gate. The look ain't too smooth on the back end.