Don't really know the history of my '50 3100 5 window before I bought it, but since I bought in 1977, I know the history for the last 30 years. I originally came to know these trucks going up in rural Washington in the early '70's.

At that time "hippies" were all the rage and it seemed where I lived an old chevy truck was standard issue for these folks. They were cheap to buy and repair and would haul plenty of wood for heat. Having four older sisters at the time, (whose husband's hair was as long as theirs) there was a '53 3100 brush painted flat bed, a '53 burb, a '50 3100 with a Studebaker bed and a '55.2 3100 parked out front at most family functions.

As an impressionable teenager, it was only natural that I wanted one as well. And I had an older buddy that had a '50 3100 5 window in black primer and without an engine or grill. He was a hard bargainer, and ended up with $150.00 cash and my girlfriend's sewing machine, (a little something for his Misses.) My highschool sweetheart still claims an ownership interest in the truck because of that sewing machine.

That was 30 years ago this year. I have had 3 engines, 2 transmissions, and 2 rearends in that truck since then. This spring a three year frame off resto will be done.

Oh, and some of those brother-in-laws are still around, and the only "burbs" in their current lives are where they live. They are flat out jealous that the only truck still around from that era is the one that pudgy little brother-in-law bought and kept.


1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert