Now that it has been established that there should be a bolt-in 3rd crossmember which would support the rear of the transmission, I would like to ensure that I understand what I should be looking for.
The transmission case I have is shown in the MPC as being for part number 591194, “1941-47, All Comm. (3 Speed)”. In case it makes a difference, the serial number stamped on the transmission is 6II836I with what looks like a 'Y' on its side to the left of the number.
In a previous post, Dan (Gdads51) posted a photo of a crossmember (transmission support) for sale on eBay. (I have attached a copy to this post.) Before I go off and purchase one of these, I want to make sure that it is the right fit for what I have, as we still don’t know what frame I have – would it be too long/short? Also, would it reach forward far enough to connect with the rear of the transmission? (If someone has the crossmember I need in their parts stash, let me know...because as soon as I am sure of what I am looking for, I will be placing a "Truck Parts Wanted" post in the Swap Meet forum.)
I have taken several photos and hope that someone with a ’41-’46 will see if the photos I have attached show a similar relationship between their transmission and its support.
I have seen that there are “adjustable” crossmember supports and different rear transmission support brackets that attach the transmission to the crossmember, but I am not sure that any of these are the ones I need. Photos of what is in place in trucks that use this transmission/engine combination would be welcome!
I did measure across the inside of the channels and came up with a distance of about 34 1/8”.
Also, are there supposed to be any vibration dampening components is this setup? If so, where?
Nick 1940 KC Model 1/2 Ton Pickup Project (with '37-'39 Bed and what we think is a '42-'46 Frame) Taos, New Mexico