Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Any coil- - - -even an OEM point type, will work with a HEI module. You just won't get the outrageous open circuit voltage the .GOV guys wanted to make up for idiots who tried to run the same set of spark plugs for 50K miles, with a 1/8" gap from electrode erosion. A clean, properly gapped spark plug will fire at <10KV, so all that extra voltage never happens anyway. The only real advantage to electronic ignition is that it eliminates the need to change mechanical points. I like the MOPAR round coil with the primary posts for fwmale blade connectors. It looks like the original point type coil, makes 25K+ volts on open circuit, and works well with the GM modules.
Jerry

I had no idea Jerry- I thought HEI required something better. I had CDI ignition in an old Porsche and that would fry cheap coils, and the oil filled coil that I installed inverted…. We replaced a dead CDI box with a MSD ignition, and that wasn’t very kind to coils either…

Last edited by Norcal Dave; 03/13/2024 1:56 AM.

~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission