Checked the distributor cap for defects, cracks, loose terminals and checked ohms from inside the cap to the end of the wires- everything was good there.
When I had it on the oscilloscope, and the display set to “parade” (all ignition events in a row, end to end, as opposed to being overlayed), I could hear the engine miss, and at the same time the parade line would shorten by about one cylinder/ignition event. This is the primary reason I keep going back to the ignition.
If the plug wires don’t fix it, then the only things I haven’t replaced are the pickup coil/trigger and the ignition coil. But the ign coil has passed all ohm checks, so I am hesitant to throw more money at a new coil.
I agree that having the booster leak would cause a lean condition (and when it got really bad, the engine would barely idle). New booster will be here Tuesday evening, hopefully.
By Wednesday I should know more.
Because the engine has had this miss for so long, I would expect to see some evidence of cross-firing on the outside of the plug wire if that was the cause, right? Regardless, I will also install wire separators with the new wires.
Last edited by Norcal Dave; 03/11/2024 2:49 PM.