Lots of good information here- thank you.

I tested the plug wires and two of them were about 1.5k ohms per inch. I will replace the wire set. I have one on order now.

Immediately after all my testing, I did a hot valve lash adjustment and a dynamic compression test for the heck of it- 120-130 psi on all cylinders, there weren’t any bent pushrods, so I am hoping this means it is unlikely that I have a sticking valve.

Went to drive the truck, and my idle drops to near stall when I depress the brake (I have vacuum booster under the floor). Time for a new booster, I think.

I’ll post again when the new wires arrive on Monday.

Oh, and yes, I modified my front bearing cap to be able to remove the timing cover from the outside…..hopefully it won’t come to that!

261 running with valve cover removed

Last edited by Norcal Dave; 03/10/2024 2:37 AM.

~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission