I have seen your work. very good , just a joke about ME's before the slings and arrows come.
I can't go along with nothing to lose, We are winging this and a good man already over pulled/pushed it. so...........caution.
If a pull is undertaken on the lower hinge bolt, it could break loose. I think it's a weld nut.... so caution
I would also pull at about a 30 deg up angle.
I am still not sure if pulling just the bottom bolt or a whole pull plate is best. This takes some testing to get it right. That test effort is priceless. Observe what the metal does with a tiny pull using several attachment methods and you will get success.
Instead of a bolting to that weld nut/captive nut, maybe just use a "L" shape bracket tucked/wedged in behind the pocket and pull on that. 1/4-1/2" Piece of wood in there to spread the load/keep it square.
Kevin/anyone can modify these comments depending on actual AD pillar/pocket/nut configuration. It's called brainstorming in a group environment. An actual design mode technique. One idea begets a better one. You gotta start somewhere.