I just love this place! The knowledge base is truly amazing.

Jon (CarbKing),

Thanks for your thoughts. I also wanted to say what an amazing resource your website is! I'm spending time there learning a lot. I will be contacting you to buy parts when I find a carb I can use.

Buoymaker,

The main reason I'm trying to keep this 292 as close to stock as possible is because I too want that low rpm torque! This engine was specifically designed and made for it. I know enough that if I take steps to get this thing to breath more freely, it will become useless in a 2-Ton truck. It's interesting that I too had the idea of adapting an early Rochester 2G from a mid 60's 283 like you mention above. The biggest problem I see is finding a good rebuildable core. These old carbs are worth their weight in gold! I appreciate your ideas.

Panic,

I've been reading about the differences in how these CFM ratings are derived for the 1 and 2 barrel carbs compared to the 4 barrel carbs. Jon goes into great detail on this subject on his website as well. I would love to get the "right" carb, but that would be a Rochester B, and, well, there is lots of heated discussion about that carburetor... This is why I'm presently searching for a workable alternative.

Thanks again gentlemen.


-David

1953 2-Ton GMC

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.