Please excuse my ignorance. I'm still very much a beginner with these old trucks.
With the help of a fellow StoveBolter, I've been super lucky to acquire a 1965 rebuildable-core 292 inline 6 ("Thank you so much Karl!!!"). My plan is to fully rebuild this engine to stock specs (no Hot-Rod bling for this engine). One of the items I needed was a carb. Well, I found a one barrel Carter YF 4339S.
From my research on this forum, I've learned that the Carter YF 4339S is a good fit for the smaller Chevy 250 inline 6. Does anyone know if this carb is big enough for the 292? I'm asking before I clean this thing up and fully rebuild it.
The brain-straining I've done so far (don't laugh!): After looking at Mark Allen's casting numbers book, I see the 1965 250 was rated at 155 horsepower @ 4,400 rpm, and the 1965 292 is rated at 165 horsepower @ 3,800 rpm. So I considered the peak power outputs of these two engines as a guide. That lead me to think of these engines as simple air pumps (I know, less than ideal...). The 250 at 4,400 rpm is "ideally" moving approximately 636 cubic feet of air per minute. The 292 at 3,800 rpm is "ideally" moving approximately 642 cubic feet of air per minute. Pretty close.
Am I just wishing too hard that this carb I found will work?
And if it is too small, any suggestions on a one barrel carb I should look for? These older carbs are not so easy to find, and I would prefer to use an original one from the same era if possible.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Last edited by DavidBraley; 10/01/2021 12:44 AM.