Again, thanks to all who have given their thoughts on this.

Buoymaker,

I think you are correct. I love how you laid it out in three easy criteria points! We think alike. Not 100% sure I can get this engine to run before I rebuild it. I will though be using a wideband O2 sensor to sniff the tail pipe when I first fire it up, and during final tuning.


Last night, I found a rebuildable core Rochester Monojet part number 7029012. I know, I know, there are some here who think this is "Satan's Carburetor!" To help me, I have two early books authored by Doug Roe on the Rochester carbs. He has some good advice on how to get the Monojet to work. There's even a small, but measurable fan-base out there for this carb that can help me too.

According to my research, this carburetor is specifically for the 292 in a 1969 truck. It has the manual choke that connects to the bi-metal coil on the exhaust manifold (I'm not sure what that is called). The casting numbers from the intake and exhaust manifolds (from Mark Allen's book) that came with this engine, show they were used from 1963 to 1972 on trucks. So the carb should be as close to a bolt on deal as I can get. I may have to modify some linkage and/or arms to make it work. Completely within my infrastructure and skill set.

I'm sure Jon will have all the rebuild parts I need to make this happen!

Take care all!


-David

1953 2-Ton GMC

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.