"To date, I have yet to find a really good aftermarket book concerning Carters, Strombergs, or Zeniths."
Good morning Jon.
Regarding books covering Carter carburetors I found Dave Emanuel's Super Tuning And Modifying Carter Carburetors Performance, Street, And Off-Road Applications useful in dialing in the Thermoquad on my '71 Dodge van that I bought new and still have. Edelbrock's Performer Series Carburetor Owner'e Manual has a lot of very detailed information that I found helpful in calibrating the Performer carburetor on my street roadster. What do you think of that book?
People who are having idle quality problems with a Performer carburetor may well find the section on Idle Mixture helpful. The recommended procedure for idle mixture adjustment is one I'd never seen before and following it was helpful to me. It even mentions winter versus summer gas blends and how to deal with them.
People who have Rochester Carburetors would probably like Doug Roe's and David Fisher's book Rochester Carburetors Quadrajet, Two Barrels, Monojet, 4GC. It's not light reading however, being very detailed and technically oriented. It has a ton of excellent photos and information really useful to a non-mechanic like myself. Using that book to tweak the OEM Quadrajet on my son's 1978 El Camino with an RHS (A division of Competition Cams) 350 crate engine we got improved power and fuel economy and cooler running. Because rejetting the Quadrajet is not a quick process we have 2 carbs for that El Camino; one to run well with and one to pass the California "Smog Check". It's a lot quicker for us to change carbs than to change jets/metering rods in that Quadrajet .