Jerry had brought up a very good point about aftermarket carbs; for best performance, they ALL require some degree of tuning.
This is even more true with O.E. carbs IF they are migrated from one application to another; which is why I asked the OP in his other thread for carb numbers. It is ALWAYS easier to modify a carburetor if you begin with one closer to your goal.
Virtually ANY carburetor may be modified; depending on the tuner's knowledge, skill, and parts/tools available to him/her. As an example, I have the capability of machining my own specification metering rods for genuine Carter carburetors. Also for Rochester Q-Jets. And I have every tension spring that Carter ever used (and some they didn't) to tune the timing of the metering rod operation. Jerry mentioned the different volume accelerator pumps for Holley, and the same is true for Carter.
Tuning skill is an acquired trait. No one was born as a carburetor specialist! As Holleys have been popular for so long, there are lots of really good aftermarket books to teach a willing pupil about Holley carburetors. The same is true for Rochester. To date, I have yet to find a really good aftermarket book concerning Carters, Strombergs, or Zeniths. But all of these manufacturers, also including Holley and Rochester and even Autolite, offered some excellent "school" materials back in the day. More difficult, and more expensive than the aftermarket paperbacks on Holley and Rochester, but available.
As the other two brands mentioned in this thread are permanently banned from our shop, I have never needed to look for decent aftermarket books, and have no idea (and don't really care) what might be available for them. Obviously, there are no O.E. (Chevy, Pontiac, Ford, etc.) literature as they were never used as original.
Jon.
Last edited by carbking; 06/01/2018 4:05 PM.