Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (klhansen, 2-Ton, Ponchogl, 1955 1 Series, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible),
133
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,104 Posts1,056,201 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 123 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 123 | This is a 1956 6100 dump truck. This started it's life as a work horse for my grandfather's construction company, and as you can see it still has the original decal on the door (HC was my great grandpa and gradmpa was the "& Son"). During the early 1980's he went out of business and sold the truck at auction on October 2, 1982. My mom has the auction flyer hanging on her living room wall from when it was sold. Anyways some farmer bought it and used it for his daily activities around the farm until I guess he decided he no longer needed it. My aunt saw it sitting on the side of the road for sale with the decal still on the door and decided to buy it back into the family for my grandmother for mother day. I believe she paid about $500. As you can see from the pictures below it is not in terrible shape, although the dump bed is held on by chains! As far as I can tell everything is original, but then again I don't know anything about these Big Bolts. My uncle has told me stories of pulling a backhoe with a full load of sand and trying to get it to stop. Sound like fun times. I can't imagine how they used to do it. Now it sits proudly displayed next to one of my grandmas barns. I have expressed to her my interest in the truck and possibly one day restoring it to its former glory, with new decals and all. I have big plans for that old truck but right now I don't have the space or the time to tackle such a big project. It would make a great truck to pull the 1958 John Deere 420 that I will also bring back to life. Pictures Doug Harshbarger Mason, MI [email protected]
Last edited by J Lucas; 11/24/2009 4:00 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | The rust is a downright shame. other than that it looks like a great old bolt. | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 114 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 114 | Not a bad looking truck! Many mechanical parts are readily available from NAPA and Carquest. Stovebolt members can help with ideas on sheet metal and repair. You've got a popular type of truck that many of us own. Glad to have you with us!!
James | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 123 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 123 | It is a shame about the rust but this dude doesn't have a clue to what the inside of a garage looks like. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | It may be that I'm just use to working on basket cases but to me that truck in not in bad shape. Doug, you'd be surprised what only 10 minutes a day will do in a years time. Heck, even 5 minutes every day would do wonders and until you have more time and money that 5 or 10 minutes could simply be the "labor" part of it. A little cleaning, little purple power, a can of primer..ect ect. Good luck, keep us posted. Just don't let it sit to long!! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 323 | I think it's great to have a truck with family history. My Dad had a 55 1 ton when I was a kid that got sold to auction. I used to tell him I was going to drive it to school some day and he would laugh and say "you can see the sky through the top of the roof". Still wish I had it even if it was just yard art. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 | Congratulations, and welcome to the Bolt! It's always nice to have a family heirloom. That alone makes it more special. As Alvin said--it's amazing what even a few minutes a day or week can accomplish. One thing you can start doing immediately is saving your pennies!! Because you will need all of those you can get your hands on!!  | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 18 | Congrats, Doug! It is good enough to get an interesting old truck, but one that was in the family is even better! It can be a bit overwhelming to contemplate a restoration, or even just a "get it really useable" fix-up. It has helped me to just pick one or two little things to get in the groove when you are ready to start.
This site has been a great help to me in the little time I have been on it. I also strongly suggest you get one of the Shop Manuals (either a reprint or an original) - they have been a tremendous help to me on my 'bolts. Read up on it until you start.
Have fun (even though I am not crazy about the color of tractor you prefer . . .) | | |
| |