Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,123 Posts1,056,653 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 | Hi All, So, while I am redoing all the brakes, I jack up the passenger rear side 3 or 4 inches. Come back next day and there are two quarts of gear oil leaked from the driver side rear hub. Does this mean a bad wheel seal? I didnt notice a leak before. Or could a clogged axle vent allow oil to bypass the seal if the axle is tilted? The vent was gunked up. I hadnt planned on working on the drivetrain yet, Should I fill-er-up and hope for the best? Or will I ruin my new shoes?
thanks!
Last edited by wurlitzer46; 06/10/2013 11:44 AM.
52 3100 project 54 3100 / 3112 ice cream truck, next project
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 2,544 | Time for a seal replacement. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | as remo gaggi said in the movie casino "why take a chance" should you get a portion of oil on your linings you be replacing them again. since your there it would be a good time to replace them. they are'nt expensive or hard to change. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 | Thanks, digging a hole in the desert for the old seals. Or in the words of Mike Ehrmantrout, "no more half measures".
Last edited by wurlitzer46; 06/10/2013 3:44 PM.
52 3100 project 54 3100 / 3112 ice cream truck, next project
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | A stuck vent would not cause a leak as its job is to relieve pressure in the differential while driving. As the truck was not driving I would think seal. Nonetheless you should make certain the vent is free. And you can't just change the shoes without the seal as it would only happen again. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,294 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,294 | While you have it apart, check the axle bearings and the portion of the axle that the bearings roll on. Your new seal won't last long if you have excessive bearing wear.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | I had a groove in my axle from the seal believe it or not. I was told there was no way to fix it so I had to find other axles which was not easy. Someone had mentioned a Speedi-Sleeve or cold welding (?) but again these ideas were nixed. I would love to have a way of repairing the grooves. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 | Thanks all, I ordered wheel seals from Napa and a gasket for the pumpkin, and have the manual. Do I need to buy or improvise a puller?
52 3100 project 54 3100 / 3112 ice cream truck, next project
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Its nice to have a seal puller but "most" of the time I can pop them out with my big screwdriver which is always near by. Generally you can get behind the seal and pry against the top fo the housing and they'll pop out. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 | Can of worms. I pulled the axle, and a piece of bearing race and three bearings came out with it. Dont suppose I can put the loose bearings back in... So, need to get new bearings now.
52 3100 project 54 3100 / 3112 ice cream truck, next project
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 | I ended up having a 1/2 inch wide spacer made at a machine shop. This allowed the new bearing to move out on the axle to a non worn spot. It also moved the seal out. The seal was 1/2 the thickness of the old leather type. Another fix would be to bore the axle housing deeper. Another option might be to hard chrome the axel and regrind it. I called all over the USA. No one would make new axels for a 46 chevy. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 | Hi All, any preference in manufacturers? Timken, National, or BRG? Napa is most expensive
Advance Auto - National Cylindrical Outer Race Part No. R-1502-EL NAPA - Part Number: BRG R1502EL Product Line: NAPA Bearings Autozone - Timken/Wheel Bearing - Rear Part Number: R1502EL
52 3100 project 54 3100 / 3112 ice cream truck, next project
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 97 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2012 Posts: 97 | best to do the bearings and seals while you are there. I went with roller bearings in lieu of stock 'ball' bearing. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 | Any tips on which way faces out on the seals? Side with the seam or side with the bend?
52 3100 project 54 3100 / 3112 ice cream truck, next project
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 129 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 129 | I had a groove in my axle from the seal believe it or not. I was told there was no way to fix it so I had to find other axles which was not easy. Someone had mentioned a Speedi-Sleeve or cold welding (?) but again these ideas were nixed. I would love to have a way of repairing the grooves. Speedy sleeves work for that application. I don't know why you were told otherwise.
Ed Miller '58 Apache short Fleetside half ton Napco Falls City, OR
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 127 | Looks like the differential cover was on wrong. There are grind marks on two sides of the inside of the cover - must be from the ring gear?
How does the cover go? I presume the two bulges in the cover are supposed to line up with the ring gear? Does the filler plug end up higher or lower than the center of the cover?
52 3100 project 54 3100 / 3112 ice cream truck, next project
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 775 | On page one of my photo bucket you can see the diff. Ring gear is on the left and the fill plug below center. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | When I did my 53 the only seals I had available were National and Chicago Rawhide. One has a wider flange which makes it better. But I forget which make. | | |
| |