Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,172 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 | Waiting to receive my 55 COE cab. I bought it on ebay out of Indiana. My plan is to mount the cab on an S10 chassis and drive train. Does anyone have info on converting to air brakes? Are there conversion kits available?
1955 GMC COE 2 ton pickup Model 320 cab on S10 chassis
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | If you are going to use an S10 drive train, I don't see any way installing air brakes. Why do you want air brakes in the first place? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I wouldnt put it on anything smaller than a 1 ton. COE's are big and wide, Scott | | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 | I forgot about the air brakes; it was a knee jerk reaction. I have the cab; disassembled, repaired the worse rot and sand blasted. I'm in the process of primeing and body work.
1955 GMC COE 2 ton pickup Model 320 cab on S10 chassis
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 | Still working on the 55 COE. I designed and installed 3 or 4 steering set ups and have finally come to a workable and safe design from a 72 Astro van. I still have 3 U joints and a stabilizer brace but it is finally solid and doesn't bind.
Moving on to front bumper, hood, front fenders and inner fenders. Slow progress but interesting. I'm hoping to be ready for paint by fall.
1955 GMC COE 2 ton pickup Model 320 cab on S10 chassis
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Welcome,edpent! There's a truck on "youtube",that i think you'd like to see. it's a "bagged" '51 Chevy C.O.E.,and he used a '72 Chevy C-20 frame. the owner's name is: Diedelson,and I think he's from the Netherlands. I asked him some questions,(under his suscription page),and he's quick to answer. Is your truck a 1st,or a 2nd-series? That may surely make a difference,as far as cab-mounts,and more than likely,other components as well. Good luck,and congrats on your steering solution! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 9 | My 55 COE is first series. Still designing and frabricating. Cab is almost done with dash final fitting and defroster the last hurdles. I'll start on pickup bed next. I hope to get in paint before winter.
1955 GMC COE 2 ton pickup Model 320 cab on S10 chassis
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Is it a 1st series COE (Cab over engine), or 2nd series LCF (Low Cab Forward)? Any pictures ? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | A 3/4 ton pickup of the same style would be a good place to look for a compatable frame, should almost bolt right up. Easy to get modern brakes, power steering, etc.
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | |
| |