The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Steelonsteel), 141 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,289
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 48
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 48
I found my 53 3100 in a barn 8 blocks from my house, it was inspected and only driven to fetch coal, , very little rot but alot of surface rust,, I gave $500, got 2 radiators and and 6 hubcaps, the truck had brand new 6.6 tires on it,, It has a 292 with all the bells and whistles, 4 speed and camaro posi rear going in in the next few weeks,, its my retirement present>>>

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 59
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 59
The first time I bought my 1950 1/2 ton I paid $1100. Spent 2 years working on it and just couldn't afford the time and space at the time. Sold it for $2400. Two years later (Jan. 2010), the guy had to sell it so I bought it back from him for $700! Now I still don't have the time and space but will see if I can't get it to the next level of restoration before selling it again. Maybe I'll just hang on to it this time?

Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 23
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 23
Hi, my 1953 GMC 5 window basket case cost $1200.00 (feb 2010) 270 with Hydramatic. I have gotten it to run but the new starter is too slow.that is current issue. I did get another GMC 3/4 ton with no motor or tranny for parts at a reasonable price. Will sell the 3/4 ton one of these days soon.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I hope you realize the '53 with factory Hydra-Matic is worth restoring to stock. That was the first year for the truck Hydra-Matic and there weren't many sold. The 270 is a desirable upgrade.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 47
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 47
Paid 2500 for my '62 c-10 but at the same time sold my pistol(had no use for it) to the PO for 250, so I guess it worked out to be 2250. Some may think it high but the truck is in great shape and will save me a lot of time and money come restoration.


1962 C-10 Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

ADHD and luvin' it
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 10
4
New Guy
New Guy
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 10
This 1946 2-ton flatbed with hydraulic hoist/dump was being used by a junk hauler until I bought it last month for $1500. Currently licensed, runs, drives, dumps. A southern New Mexico truck, it has almost no rust. I can continue driving it as is or I am sure I can find ways to spend $$$$ on improvements (and deferred maintenance)!
It's a cool ol' truck and a veteran workhorse!



http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/ae173/sayulero/1946%20Chevy%202-ton%20dump

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 581
Thought I'd repost this. I forgot I had started it and it helped me get a feel for a project I was looking at. Have fun with it.

I'll update this with a later purchase I made for about $3,000. In the spring of 2010 I saw an add for a '46 tonner. The price was a little too high to warrant a call. Later that fall the truck appeared again with a more reasonable price. I loved the 9' box and the tin was all in good shape, I had to have it. I paid a little more than I'd have liked to but since I got my other '46 truck for practically nothing I was Ok with it.

Kyle

Last edited by 641Workmaster; 05/15/2013 10:02 PM.

1941 G506
More

1946 3800
Pic
More

1946 3600
Pic
More

1924 Ford Model T Fordor
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2013
Posts: 176
Picked up my 41' GMC COE for $2000, got it home put $300 in it and it runs and drives.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
I paid $4500 for a 56 Big window small bed.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 150
Traded my brother my 67 Triumph TT Special for mine. I'm still wondering who got the better end of that deal. headscratch

Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Picked up my '52 for $950. Non-running, solid block of mostly surface rust. Only original paint remaining was on firewall. Approaching year two of the restoration project. I have not documented total cost to date, but it is not terrible. These trucks are relatively inexpensive to restore.

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
Paid $2500 initially, added about $800 in parts so far, and am looking at dropping another $1000 in a 4 link suspension in a day or two. I look at it as I've doubled my money grin

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 574
i saw my truck one day by the side of the highway, and thought i saw $75 on the window, so i called, turned out it was just wishful seeing as the man wanted 800. we struck a deal for me to rebuild ( actually more like make ) his lawnmower and pay him 250 cash and the truck was mine. the guy was really honest about the truck, he really didn't know much but what he told me was true as time has proven, he even was going to give me a v8 if i wanted it, but i declined and kept the inline 6 and loosened it up and got it fixable after 35 years of sitting, and the rest it history grin


1949 Dodge Coronet
1955 2nd Chevy 4400 1.5 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1955 2nd Chevy 3100 1/2 ton
1957 Chevy 5400 LCF 2 ton
1966 Dodge D100 Sweptline
1968 Chevy P20 stepvan
1969 GMC LWB pickup
1972 GMC Sprint
1974 CP30 shorty bus

There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin.----Linus Van Pelt
Trying to understand the behavior of some people is like trying to smell the color 9 big_eek



Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

$200 for my 1954 suburban

23 x that amount for the purchase of a 1954 pickup that is getting restored

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 341
$2K for my '53 3100 5-window that was parked for about 12 years. Put a few hundred in brakes and interior into it and I'm driving it.


Allan
-----
1951 GMC 1/2-ton
Two 1953 Chevy 3100 5-window
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Paid $1200 for the panel. Didn't want to but the PO had put new king pins and bushings along with new durms/brakes/wheel cylinders and had the springs re-arched or maybe it was a new one or two. Been a long time...... and many many $ later.
As of today, after over 6 years later, I finally got to drive it...have 200 miles on it since last week. Whew, what a ride!

...now, the 37, back in 1994, is a whole nuther story!!

Both should have been crushed!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Paid $300 for the truck and $27 for the tag. Dragged it 2200 miles home, and then started spending. smile


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
I paid $300 for the 1953 1-ton, $1100 for the 1948 1-ton & the 1953 1/2 ton was given to me by my dad when I turned 16 but I by far have more money into it than any of the others....


"IT IS WHAT IT IS"
1953 Chevrolet 1/2-ton 3100 4x4
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery
More images in Flickr
1948 GMC 1-Ton (now sold to someone in Hawaii!)
In the Gallery
More photo in Flickr
1953 Chevy 1-Ton
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
I paid $900, for the truck initially in '84, drove it with absolutely no work except new king pins, shocks and a new light switch up until about 2 years ago, But since then I have put about a lots of money, now that I'm thinking about it, really lots of money. I'm thinking the fella that got the triumph made out better on that deal. About a week after I bought the truck somebody put a 750 bonneville up for sale for $500, OH I'm tellin ya that was a rough couple of days until I made my peace with that one. Then when I was living in Hawaii, the police department was selling their flathead harley meter maid buggies for once again $500, that hurt as well. (it also has nothing to do with trucks, but my therapist says it helps to talk about it. I really, really wanted either/both of them....)

Last edited by brokenhead; 05/17/2013 6:38 AM.
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 174
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Bought my '55 NAPCO and my '58 NAPCO, $500 each. Just sold the '58 at swap meet for $3000 and all I did to it was a power wash! Now I have the funds to finish my '55! I have maybe $800 into it and about that much to go........I hope!


Stranger
Frank in Iowa

1955 Second Series Chevrolet Shortbox NAPCO with a Rockwell Transfer Case
"Mater's Cousin"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix in Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
My first bolt was my ’53. We were actively searching for one when my Dad called and said he saw one sitting behind a house in his neighborhood. Drove over and knocked on the door and the guy said it was not for sale, no way would he part with it. His family had owned it since it was new, never titled, never registered, never driven on the road.

We talked about the truck and trucks in general for a while and then the guy starts telling me his financial troubles. Turns out he’s behind and needs $300 for his mortgage. So I told him I’d give $300 cash for the truck. The rest is history.

I started keeping a journal on hours and expenses. I think one of the better moments of the restoration was when I pitched it in the trash and decided I would not worry about the costs, it was a hobby.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,001
Yep, that is exactly how you have to look at a restoration. Otherwise most people would not do it if it wasn't a hobby. I keep records, not so much to determine my spending, but for posterity sake. To show others, buyer or whomever, what was done.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,026
In '05 I paid $900 for the truck, & about another $900 to have it shipped from New Mexico.


Robert C.
If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

1950 3600
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 5
I paid 16k for my 52 3100 short bed. Two different people told me that it will never be worth less than that. Fully restored pickup, I took it to my body man for an evaluation...his first comment, "are you going to drive this?"
Cool 52 in Illinois

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 292
traded a 700 dollar jet ski for a 53 3 window and paid 400 cash for 51 5 window. after 4 years wont be completely done but will be able to drive it this summer i hope. Thanks for all the help bolters!

Last edited by johns truck; 05/18/2013 5:38 AM.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 26
My 1954 Chev 1ton was given to me. $0.00. Put in plugs,wires,cap,rotor,points,coil,fuel pump, and carb rebuild for about $200.00. Now it runs. Just have to do the rest. : )

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 420
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 420
I paid $6,000 for mine and it was a mess, not to mention another 1,000 to get it home to Pa. from benton harbor michigan, but it was well worth it, I sunk a ton of money into it and now its my best toy (check out pics)

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 163
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 163
$1,000 for my 46 COE about 3 years ago. Probably have put another $1,500 into it so I think I'm doing pretty good..

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/jrpontiac/library/?sort=3&page=1


Jason
1946 GMC COE
1967 Pontiac Lemans Convertible

http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/jrpontiac/library/?sort=3&page=1
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
Sadly, way too much for a truck that looked good but was really shot underneath. It does have a good 235 from a 56 and solid 4 speed, but I had to put in a new IFS front clip and radials to make is a safe driver. I'd likely never get out of it anywhere close to what I put in but I expect that's true for most of us.



Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 31
3600 1949 was $2700 and my 1948 3200 5 window was $3750

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I'd like to see a picture of a '48 3200.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
I did a kitchen remodel and the owner was about 3K shy of what was due...


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 111
Bought the 46 for $200.00 and drove it home. No brakes and stuck in high end. What a ride though!

Ken


1946 Chevrolet 2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix of the '46 on Photobucket

1954 Chev 1/2-ton
3 Farmalls
4 John Deeres
1 Oliver
1955 DeSoto Fireflite

I'm pullin for ya. We're all in this together -- Red Green
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Bought my truck for $600 in 2006 it had sat for many years and prior to that was just used on a farm so last licensed before me in 1966. Bought from original owners family. Before and after and yes it was originally Mariner Blue.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129128061/in/set-72157631867396207
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129179759/in/set-72157631867396207

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 85
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 85
I bought my 56 1/2 ton for a dollar from Dad back in 1992. Plus I flew halfway across the country and worked 16 hour days for 2 weeks helping him get ready for a farm auction. We both got a good deal.

We sold several Chevy trucks at the auction. 48 Chevy truck, 63 Chevy truck, a very clean 66 Chevy pickup, and a 71 Chevy Longhorn pickup. Dad held on to his S10 and my brother got the 76 K10 pickup. Dad is a Chevy guy too!


Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
I bought ( 3 ) 1941's and a 1929, all 1/2 ton pickups in not so good condition. Realized I paid way too much after they were delivered. But after working on them, you get attached. Wouldn't trade any of them. Even if I could get my investment back. Which I couldn't !

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 603
I paid $1500 for the 58 GMC COE, it was running and driving great. But no brakes. After $1000 it has great brakes. Totaled up parts for other stuff tonight, and now im $4500 into it and it looks just like it did when I got it. (see my Photobucket.) But not all the stuff has been installed yet, such as new seat upholstery, glass rubber, door & window handles, paint, the list goes on and on. I am guessing, to get it into decent looking and operating condition I will be at $5500 if lucky. And thats not show condition, just a nice daily driver. Hopefully a car hauler.


57 GMC LCF 370
55 John Deere 40-W
59 John Deere 430-W
2000 GMC 4x4
56 John Deere 420-W
Pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 7
i was looking at a 51 ford vic for a long time, but the owner wanted to play games. i was on craigslist and found a 58 apache 36 tow truck for 1800. the ad said it ran, so what the hell. i found the place out in the middle of nowhere and checked it out. i offered 1500 and limped it home.a headgasket and a set of tires and wheels later i drive it about every day. i still have a long way to go, but i'm having fun.
ps, the wife got over being mad at me for buying it lol

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
A tow truck! Cool. I need one of those.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 19
Mine was bought back in 2000 for $750.00. Brought it home and the HOA started to complain so I sold it to a body shop that wanted it for $1800.00. Roll 10 years later and bought it back from him for $500.00. I am still ahead even after all the rust that grew on it in between.

Mike


http://www.facebook.com/54bigbolt?ref=hl#!/54bigbolt
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0