The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#941837 05/08/2013 7:11 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 164
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 164
I just purchased new exhaust manifolds. I want to keep them looking new.
Any suggestions from a good high temp paint that works?
Thanks,

Chris


Proud Southern Stovebolter
Share the past for our future:)
1964 C10
http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/chrisgardner07/CGG_64C10/
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,847
eastwood has a do it yourself ceramic coat that is pretty good, my manifolds are still shiny after 2 years.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 164
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 164
I'm looking it up now.
Thanks


Proud Southern Stovebolter
Share the past for our future:)
1964 C10
http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/chrisgardner07/CGG_64C10/
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
I sent mine to Jet Hot. 8 years, 25000 miles and they look like new


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
I have been using this for a few years,

http://stovepaintbyjim.com/stove-bright-metallic-black-stove-paint/

I really like the metallic look of it, not to flashy, just enough to look like dark shiny cast iron. Bakes to a semi flat black. I can get it local at my fireplace store here in town.

Joe

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
I have new Fenton cast iron headers. If untreated what will they look like after, say, 2000 miles and three years. I like the look, but will it last ?


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
My opinion is that to keep cast iron headers looking good is to rub them down with Calyx once in a while. It give them the natural look to me and you can touch them up easily when they need it with out any hassle....just my opinion.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,951
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
My opinion is that to keep cast iron headers looking good is to rub them down with Calyx once in a while. It give them the natural look to me and you can touch them up easily when they need it with out any hassle....just my opinion.

Hmmmm. . . . Calyx? My Google search results = pictures and poems about flowers. Do you rub flowers on the headers? Naaaahh! I'm more manly than that.

So Alvin, what is that stuff. Please tell me cause I'm a novice. My mind is like an empty bucket, . . . errr . . . sorta! grin

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,232
I use Caylx on my exhaust manifold based on Achipmunk's recommendation a couple of years ago and I'm happy with the results.

I also use it on other bare metal rusty items like master cylinder, leaf springs, even rusty throttle-brake-and clutch springs.

- Lonnie


- Lonnie
My '54 3104
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post.
lonniecook [at] aol [dot] com. I sold my '54 3104 12/12/2017, but I still visit Stovebolt.

OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 543
I jus ordered some after looking at the pics of parts it was applied to wink


Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

That's good to hear, Dogface, you'll be able to touch-up a few spots on the intake manifold you'll be soon receiving.

I've been using it for several years. It does not stop rust on iron manifolds, but it can be easily touched up. I also use it on aluminum intake manifolds, to match the exhaust manifolds.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....it is easy to touch up the manifolds, when it needs it, which is why I use it. For the convience and the look. A small plastic cup of it was about 20 bucks but it will do about 3 sets of manifolds. My friend just used it on his 454 headers and is pleased with results....no, he's tickled pink with the appearance!!

Jay, I don't like trying to toothbrush it on. I cut the toe out of an old athletic sock and rub it in. Then buff it and it will shine a little. Start the engine and get it good and hot after you put it on the manifolds and then to a good "second" rub and your good for some time. Let me now how you like it.

EDIT: as everyone probably knows it goes on and last better if the manifolds are good and clean before applying it. I sand blasted mine.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 05/12/2013 10:03 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0