Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Steelonsteel, Otto Skorzeny, Robert Crandall, Charles in CA, JW51, mick53, Gdads51),
128
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,267 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | The client delivered it today. The truck spent it's life on a New Mexico ranch. The top surfaces are sunburned down to bare metal, but I can't get over the lack of rust on the rest of the vehicle! Always working on things that lived in the North East, it is amazing to find totally solid door bottoms, rockers, back corners of the cab! 1 little rust spot in the cab floor ahead of the battery, but the side window had been broken out for years. It's got a lot of dents, but that's the life of a farm truck and the stake body has been replaced with one from another truck and doesn't fit well. It has a funny little heater that looks like a space helmet, I'll need to find out about that. Let the fun begin.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 253 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 253 | I'm from the Northeast originally and know what it's like to find older trucks rotted away from the door handles down and the endless cutting and welding to fix them. Years ago when I moved to the Southwest I couldn't get over how many easily restore-able cars and trucks with solid bodies there were just around my area alone. I was in hog heaven! :>)
Enjoy your project, it sounds like a good one!
1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4 1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
| | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 135 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2009 Posts: 135 | That funny looking heater may be a SouthWind gas heater.
Mike | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | Thank you, yes it is a Southwind, Model 781-B. As soon as I had a chance to look on the other side of the firewall and saw where the lines would connect I knew it was a gas heater. I have had a lot of experience with gas heaters on VW buses. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | I was just checking out the Southwind heater web site. Those heaters are neat. If the heater in my '60 didn't work so good I would install one! Hmmm, maybe in the '66 C60  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | Drained and flushed the fuel system, swapped out the battery and started it. Runs sweet and quiet. Drove it up to the corner and back (hand brake only)just as noisy and even slower than I remember.
There was a decal on the dash that is mostly unreadable, maps out speeds in different gears, 2 speed rear. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of it? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 | I think someone here was making them at one time. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Welcome to the '"Bolt", Jim! Got any pic's?? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | I will post some pictures. I haven't had to use an intermediate site before so I have to pick one and try. Just posted to the swap meet for the first time too. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2013 Posts: 1,384 | The engine is in great shape. For you guys who drive them a lot, how is the valve life on unleaded gas? I would usually pull the head and put in hardened exhaust valves and seats. | | |
| |