The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (baldeagle), 158 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#939065 04/27/2013 7:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
The client delivered it today. The truck spent it's life on a New Mexico ranch. The top surfaces are sunburned down to bare metal, but I can't get over the lack of rust on the rest of the vehicle! Always working on things that lived in the North East, it is amazing to find totally solid door bottoms, rockers, back corners of the cab! 1 little rust spot in the cab floor ahead of the battery, but the side window had been broken out for years.
It's got a lot of dents, but that's the life of a farm truck and the stake body has been replaced with one from another truck and doesn't fit well.
It has a funny little heater that looks like a space helmet, I'll need to find out about that.
Let the fun begin.


Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 253
I'm from the Northeast originally and know what it's like to find older trucks rotted away from the door handles down and the endless cutting and welding to fix them. Years ago when I moved to the Southwest I couldn't get over how many easily restore-able cars and trucks with solid bodies there were just around my area alone. I was in hog heaven! :>)

Enjoy your project, it sounds like a good one!


1945 Chevrolet G 506 1.5 Ton Military 4X4
1967 Jeep Cj5 with 283 SBC
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 135
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 135
That funny looking heater may be a SouthWind gas heater.

Mike


1936 1-1/2 Ton (RD) Stake Body Original
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Thank you, yes it is a Southwind, Model 781-B. As soon as I had a chance to look on the other side of the firewall and saw where the lines would connect I knew it was a gas heater. I have had a lot of experience with gas heaters on VW buses.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I was just checking out the Southwind heater web site. Those heaters are neat. If the heater in my '60 didn't work so good I would install one! Hmmm, maybe in the '66 C60 smile

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Drained and flushed the fuel system, swapped out the battery and started it. Runs sweet and quiet.
Drove it up to the corner and back (hand brake only)just as noisy and even slower than I remember.

There was a decal on the dash that is mostly unreadable, maps out speeds in different gears, 2 speed rear. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of it?

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
I think someone here was making them at one time.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Welcome to the '"Bolt", Jim! Got any pic's??


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
I will post some pictures. I haven't had to use an intermediate site before so I have to pick one and try.
Just posted to the swap meet for the first time too.

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
The engine is in great shape. For you guys who drive them a lot, how is the valve life on unleaded gas?
I would usually pull the head and put in hardened exhaust valves and seats.


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0