Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,697 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 | Hello all, I am new here. First post actually. I used to be a Thirdgen Camaro guy until I decided to give up on the project. (Long story) Anyways, here is the truck that I am 98.9378% ready to purchase from a family member for a good price. I have been eyeing this thing over for more than a decade. It's a 1948 Chevy truck with live tandems. I have been researching this truck on google, but according to that "wise" website, none exist. http://i49.tinypic.com/2z6t9va.jpg http://i50.tinypic.com/oa3ers.jpg http://i49.tinypic.com/23i87s6.jpg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Live tandems were't available from the Factory on Chevrolet trucks until 1956. Tandem conversions were available though, but only from upfitters such as Trucktor, Truckstell, Fabco etc. I had a 1954 Chevrolet COE that had a chaindrive Trucktor Tandem conversion installed on it when new. If you get a chance try to search the rear frame, & axles for a Tag with one of these names on it. I'd like to see pictures of the tandem section. Cool truck. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Cool truck, many ten wheelers of that era were just had a dead axle added, so your potential project is a bit more unusual. One of the site members bought a chevy with a crane mounted and tandem conversion a few years ago but you don't see them often. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 | So, did this modification require lengthening the frame? I see pictures of both long and short frames floating around on the internet.
I will post updates when they happen. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 | One more question. How much do these things weigh with nothing on the rear frame? Ballpark, I'd like to know in order to plan to trailer it down to my house. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | On my '54 COE the Trucktor Tandem consisted of it's own frame extension that actually slide over top of the Factory frame. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,223 | Ace, I'll take a stab at the weight... The 6400 Cab and Chassis has a curb weight of a little less than 5,000 pounds. The extra rear, springs and tires will add about 1,000 pounds...my guess puts it at about 6,000 pounds total. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I would estimate the weight a little higher than that. We used to figure about 1500 lbs. by adding a drag axle. A screw would probably add more like 2000 with third member, interaxle driver shaft and it looks like pretty heavy springs. It may have added 2500 lbs. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2013 Posts: 4 | So, after Spanky's reply, I got a little excited. The truck is currently in Northern Wisconsin. Spanky's comment of "Fabco" was very interesting to me. I'll save that for later.
Any ideas on the frame for where the tags would be located? Most likely on the rear end, near the split in the frame or somewhere more protected. I've heard Glovebox as well.
Would this upgrade have been based off of the Deuce and a Half with regards to running gear? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | On my Trucktor conversion the ID tag was rivited to the last crossmember facing rearward. Grico, Thornton, & Truxmore were a few more upfitters listed in my Chevrolet "Silver Book" that supplied Chevrolet with Tandem conversions. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | As someone above stated "one of the members a few years ago bought a Chevy with a tandem and a crane mouinted".
I am the guy. The only current photos I have of it are on my Picturetrail account linked below. It's got a Truckstell unit on it. Good luck with yours. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2013 Posts: 3 | Hi there, I have a trucktor tandem axle assy. from the back of the cab, it is all there, there is a plate riveted on the back of the tag axle. It has the 8 rims and tires still on the assy. I have pictures of the set up if you would like to see them, it is like Spanky says, the aftermarket frame just slips over the original frame rails, mine has the chain set equalizer with the sprocket in the middle. This came off a 1948 Chev. truck with a long wheel base. Thanks, Harold in Penna. my number is 610-767-8370 if needed. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Hey,53moneypit1 Is that a Schield Bantam,or a Truckstell unit? just wondering. My assistant- manager's uncle was Vern Schield,and he built his first truck-mounted crane back in about 1932,out of old thrasher and steam-shovel parts.He owned about three limestone quarries in the Waverly,Iowa area. his truck became popular quickly!A lot of Bantams used during WW-2. usually mounted on G.M.C. C.C.K.W's.Either 1/2-cab,or no-cab.I think your unit is rare.Don't see too many 1/2-cab Chev's. Mostly I.H.C.'s.,from that era,up into the mid-'50's,when most of the crane mfr's. adapted to the truck cranes that we see today. Nice find!! Any up-dates??
Last edited by wetwilly5757; 03/07/2013 9:27 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 | If it's a live tandem how do the drive lines connect to the differentials without a transfer case? Or is it chain drive connection? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 | I guess what I'm wondering is why didn't GM or Chevrolet use the same technology as the military trucks when it came to live axle tandems of the 1940's, with the transfer case and pillow block set up? A gear ratio change could of made them more road friendly. Did GM ever make a road tractor with 2 live axles for civilian use in the 40's? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy 1936only, as far as I know, for civilian use "Chevrolet" never offered a factory live tandem truck in the forties. GMC however did offer such trucks, one thing that we may forget is that civilian truck production was severley curtailed during World War Two. When you ask a question about "GM" you are asking about all the divisions, hope that helps. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I have a Canadian Sales truck book and it has a number of advertisements with illustrations of these conversions. When I think of moving all that weight with those little old motors it really amazes me.
53Moneypit Would I ever love to see pictures of that half cab. That is some piece of work. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 | So basically most of the civilian frieght/produce was moved with single axel 20's to 30's trucks in the 1.5 to 2 ton range. Amazing, how they used the low horse power Stovebolt six's and GMC's to keep commerce going. When I drive my wifes '36 around I can't imagine pulling a big load up a grade without going into 1st gear and crawling along at 10 mph. For those of you out there in Stovebolt land that have not actually driven one of these trucks, I invite you to do so as soon as possible to really appriciate what your restoring. I sure do now. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | Rick, most folks don't stop to think that those days were much slower times with low speeds on poor roads, no "just in time" production then, things got delivered in weeks, not days  every time I drove my 46 1.5T my mind wandered back to the 'iron men' who built our world with those trucks, and who mostly wound up disabled from the pounding they took driving them - just think about 12-15 hours on that suspension over rough roads in the days before the interstate highway system  Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2012 Posts: 170 | Bill, I'm 6'4" and I have to slouch down and have my arm hang out the window and my head is within an inch of the headliner when I drive the '36. How did they do it? I still have perma-grin though everytime I get in it. Can't wait to get my '43 6x6 tractor running to feel what an old school live tandem axle rig is like. | | |
| |