The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, klhansen, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#907044 12/29/2012 11:51 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
I'm about ready to paint my enclosed driveline on my 41, it's all in pieces, has been washed down with solvent and wire brushed by hand. I was thinking of painting it with POR-15. Question is would it help if I coated it with OSPHO before painting? Dave


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
homer52 #907053 12/29/2012 12:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

No need, as long as you have loose material removed. In fact, you want surface rust for best adherence results with POR-15.

homer52 #907310 12/30/2012 3:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,554
Thanks


1941 Chevy
"First rebuild - complete!"
Follow the story in the DITY
1941 GMC resting peacefully
1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete
1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration
1941 Plymouth stock complete
1941 GMC COE in restoration process
Read his Project Journal
1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
homer52 #909459 01/07/2013 12:07 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 129
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 129
The POR-15 company sells something called Metal-Ready which they like you to use before you use the POR-15 itself. I think it's basically a phosphoric acid solution. Mostly make sure the surface is clean.



Ed Miller
'58 Apache short Fleetside half ton Napco
Falls City, OR

homer52 #909560 01/07/2013 6:31 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
Use their Metal-Ready, if that stuff isn't properly prepared it will peel off in sheets. Also, surface rust helps. I would was my parts with water and let em sit for a day and get a little surface rust then paint on POR. Kinda convenient when you lack all the time in the world!

homer52 #913141 01/20/2013 2:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
I wire brushed, ground and otherwise cleaned off all the grease, grime, paint and rust flakes off, then used oven cleaner to get the grease out of the tight spots. I power washed it all, let it sit for a day or so, then treat with the POR-15.. so far so good... (My 39 was treated 12 years ago with very few problems.)


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
homer52 #913208 01/20/2013 5:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...I like the stuff to Rusty Rod.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0