Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Forty9),
134
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,132 Posts1,056,385 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Hi,"Bolters"! I walked out this morning,and noticed a puddle on the inner-wheel/Passenger side. First thing I thought of was brake cylinder. Then I got a whiff of the stuff:90-weight gear oil. is this a job better suited for a suspension shop,or could an intermediate backyard mechanic be able to tackle the beast? I know I have a 2nd-Series 6500,18,000# gross,but are there different 2-speed rear-ends used in the T.F. 2-ton and bigger trucks? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Last edited by wetwilly5757; 08/15/2012 10:21 PM. Reason: wrong photobucket url
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | If you can do a brake job, you can replace the seals. The hardest part is removing the wheels. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Thanks,Mike!! I've replaced the tires a couple of years ago,and the brakes at the same time. Luckily,the truck still had the origional lug wrench and cheater bar,so the lugs broke free with a simple stomp on the bar. If that's the "hard" part,I've got it made,as long as I can find the seals-(I'm going to replace the driver's side,too.) Thanks,again!! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | Be sure your rear axle vent is clean and open. A plugged vent can present itself as a seal leak as pressure builds up when you drive and get things warm. This happened to me and I discovered a plugged vent. I cleaned the vent, the oil mess and never did anything with the seals and that was several years ago, with no further problems. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | if the oil got into the brake linings you will need to replace them also. hopefully it didnt. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | THANK-YOU,Lightholder's Dad! I read your reply and immediately remembered reading that very same thing on a different thread several months ago right here on Stovebolt!! Too late to check on it tonight,but 1st thing in the morning...Will keep you posted! Thanks,again! 51 ashton,when I drove it around the block last night,I kinda checked for brake failure-(heat build-up). Both L.R.,and R.R. hubs felt about the same temp.,HOPEFULLY meaning that the brake linings aren't contaminated. Thanks for the advice! I WILL check them,though. Better safe than sorry! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 165 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 165 | The hub is designed in such away to leak the oil out so as not to get on the shoes, in most cases, thats why you see it in the center and not the backing plate | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I replaced one of the seals on my 1 Ton lately and some of the fluid had gotten onto one of the shoes. I wiped it off, used some naptha on a rag and the shoes were fine. I don't know whether I was lucky because it was only on for a short time or if it is because of the new brake material used on the shoes. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | The hub is designed in such away to leak the oil out so as not to get on the shoes, in most cases, thats why you see it in the center and not the backing plate maybe so but mine ended up being soaked and i had to replace them thats how i know. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | The hub is designed in such away to leak the oil out so as not to get on the shoes, in most cases, thats why you see it in the center and not the backing plate Maybe they were designed that way, but they don't work that way in real life. Jeff | | | | | Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 476 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2010 Posts: 476 | When I changed out the rear seals on my 46 2 ton with the 2 speed diff. One leaked. When I disassembled it AGAIN I found a small burr on the seal diameter on the rear end housing. Dressed it up with a fine flapper wheel, put another $20 seal (from NAPA) in the hub and it's bin good to go never since. Just something to watch out for. Hey I'm originally from Waterloo
Last edited by Chris's 46 / 515; 08/18/2012 8:45 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2010 Posts: 1,159 | Thanks for the replies,guys! ends up that the axle vent was clogged. The seal no longer leaks! WHOOPEEEEE! | | |
| |