The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bill Hanlon), 113 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,360
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#875098 08/15/2012 10:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Hi,"Bolters"! I walked out this morning,and noticed a puddle on the inner-wheel/Passenger side. First thing I thought of was brake cylinder. Then I got a whiff of the stuff:90-weight gear oil. is this a job better suited for a suspension shop,or could an intermediate backyard mechanic be able to tackle the beast? I know I have a 2nd-Series 6500,18,000# gross,but are there different 2-speed rear-ends used in the T.F. 2-ton and bigger trucks? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Last edited by wetwilly5757; 08/15/2012 10:21 PM. Reason: wrong photobucket url

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
If you can do a brake job, you can replace the seals. The hardest part is removing the wheels.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Thanks,Mike!! I've replaced the tires a couple of years ago,and the brakes at the same time. Luckily,the truck still had the origional lug wrench and cheater bar,so the lugs broke free with a simple stomp on the bar. If that's the "hard" part,I've got it made,as long as I can find the seals-(I'm going to replace the driver's side,too.) Thanks,again!!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,038
Be sure your rear axle vent is clean and open. A plugged vent can present itself as a seal leak as pressure builds up when you drive and get things warm. This happened to me and I discovered a plugged vent. I cleaned the vent, the oil mess and never did anything with the seals and that was several years ago, with no further problems.


1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
if the oil got into the brake linings you will need to replace them also. hopefully it didnt.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
THANK-YOU,Lightholder's Dad! I read your reply and immediately remembered reading that very same thing on a different thread several months ago right here on Stovebolt!! Too late to check on it tonight,but 1st thing in the morning...Will keep you posted! Thanks,again! 51 ashton,when I drove it around the block last night,I kinda checked for brake failure-(heat build-up). Both L.R.,and R.R. hubs felt about the same temp.,HOPEFULLY meaning that the brake linings aren't contaminated. Thanks for the advice! I WILL check them,though. Better safe than sorry!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 165
The hub is designed in such away to leak the oil out so as not to get on the shoes, in most cases, thats why you see it in the center and not the backing plate

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I replaced one of the seals on my 1 Ton lately and some of the fluid had gotten onto one of the shoes. I wiped it off, used some naptha on a rag and the shoes were fine. I don't know whether I was lucky because it was only on for a short time or if it is because of the new brake material used on the shoes.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
Originally Posted by ABento
The hub is designed in such away to leak the oil out so as not to get on the shoes, in most cases, thats why you see it in the center and not the backing plate
maybe so but mine ended up being soaked and i had to replace them thats how i know.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by ABento
The hub is designed in such away to leak the oil out so as not to get on the shoes, in most cases, thats why you see it in the center and not the backing plate

Maybe they were designed that way, but they don't work that way in real life.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
When I changed out the rear seals on my 46 2 ton with the 2 speed diff. One leaked. When I disassembled it AGAIN I found a small burr on the seal diameter on the rear end housing. Dressed it up with a fine flapper wheel, put another $20 seal (from NAPA) in the hub and it's bin good to go never since. Just something to watch out for. Hey I'm originally from Waterloo

Last edited by Chris's 46 / 515; 08/18/2012 8:45 PM.
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,159
Thanks for the replies,guys! ends up that the axle vent was clogged. The seal no longer leaks! WHOOPEEEEE!


Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0