Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (klhansen, 2-Ton, Ponchogl, 1955 1 Series, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, 1 invisible),
133
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,104 Posts1,056,201 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | I bought a 1953 chevy truck and brought it to my dad's shop to work on it. I don't know when it last ran and would like to make it 12 volt so I can use modern products for it. What is an easy way to convert the voltage from 6volt to 12? Also It looks like someone put a 12volt alternator on it but I want to make sure the starter and everything on the engine is 12 volt. I am a newbie when it comes to electrical. What do I need to do to see if the start, coil, and other things are 6volt or 12 volt.
Last edited by Peggy M; 07/06/2023 11:40 PM. Reason: added more info to the title
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | what about the starter? It said nothing about the starter. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | Many guys leave the old 6 volt starter in and use the 12 volts to turn it. I ran one like that for several years with no problems. I believe that if you try to change out the starter to 12 volts, you will have to change out the flywheel too. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | A 6V starter will work fine with a 12V system as long as you don't run it too long w/o letting it cool down. Mine lasted 6 years and only cost $7 to repair. The starter will really spin the engine and it it's in tune it will start in an instant. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | how long did you drive it before you let your starter cool down? I'm probably just going to drive the truck to the car show and around town to do some running around once in a while. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | I think you may have misunderstood 53moneypit. Operation of the starter on 12V will cause the starter to heat up rather quickly if the vehicle doesn't start easily. You can drive it around till you run out of gas and it won't damage the starter from normal engine heat. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | oh okay. I was a bit confused. So I'm replacing all the old stuff on the engine and I can't find the right hoses for the radiator. I tried car quest and oreileys but they have nothing. I haven't tried napa yet because I was in a rush to get some parts. Do I have to order them from a restoration parts website? Thanks, Bert | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Bert,
What year and size motor do you have?
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | NAPA has molded or flexible upper and lower hoses. It looks like you can order on-line and pick-up in the store with a 10% discount. Make sure they do not charge you shipping. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Man - I wish the Canadian site let me search like that.... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | Bah... I need those hoses as well. I called Napa here in town (BTW - they don't share the same part numbers at all!)
The upper hose is $13.50 CAN, and the lower $33.50 CAN.
I checked the US site and the closest store is in Ogsdenburg NY - The upper is $11.43 and the lower is $20.25.
Our dollar is at par right now - I think I'll add to the list of parts to pick up in NY. :P | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | I went to Napa auto parts and got the hoses I needed. Does anyone have a diagram or picture how the cab is connected to the throttle, choke and such? I tried figuring it out last night but I'm not sure If I put the choke in the right place.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | I hate to say it but I'm not sure. It looks stock. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 575 | | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | Its a Rochester B Carb. Took the starter off today and found that it was really worn down. Several internal parts just fell apart when I opened it up. I replaced the coil to make it 12 volt, checked the points on the distributor, replaced the spark plugs and bumped the engine to see if the pistons are free and they are. I lifted the valve cover off and put the truck in gear and pushed on the truck until it was top dead center so I know that the pistons move, but the condition of the rings I'm not sure. Is there something I am missing before I try and crank it over beside replacing the starter?
Last edited by berts53; 07/13/2012 1:00 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | Put oil in the cylinders and turn it by hand a couple of rounds. Remove the distributor and spin the oil pump until you have oil in the rockers. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2012 Posts: 59 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | bert, lots of folks just tear down an old distributor and use the shaft to drop down in the oil pump and use a drill to spin it. I do think they actually make one you can buy....I've actually cut off a "bad" screwdriver and used it in a drill to pump the oil up for the first start. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | When you remove the distributor look in the hole it came out of for a slot. Put something long with a flat tip, such as an old screwdriver or a piece of 1/4" rod with a hand forged driver tip, in a drill motor and insert the tip in the slot. Spin until you see oil at the top. | | |
| |