The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rick Brown, Bill Hanlon, 2-Ton, 5 Window 9434), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,238
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#863605 07/02/2012 2:35 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
So Here's the story, and I am asking to make sure I can do this and everything is on the up and up.

I have two trucks, both with clear titles.
A 49 5 window, and a 50 3 window. The 50 has everything done to it that I want, which includes a 235, open rear, and 12v conversion.

The 5 window is pretty much stock, but in need of some help.

I live in MN, and my question is can I swap cabs so the wife gets her 5 window, and I don't have to do all the extra work, or is this a NO NO?

I would kinda like the 5 window too.


Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
Are the trucks titled by engine numbers?
Or by door post numbers


Have you checked your state DMV for guidance?


DADS50 #863621 07/02/2012 3:14 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
They are titled by the door tags. If I recall I asked a DMV gal a few years back on something very similar and I believe she said as long as both are titled, and I own them I'm good to go. Maybe I'll call and check tomorrow. Ether way, both trucks has 235's in them, it's just the one in the 5 window is junk.

Just wondering if it has been done in this area?

Last edited by spitfire18; 07/02/2012 3:15 AM.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I think you'll find it's a lot easier to swap engines than cabs.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #863644 07/02/2012 4:26 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
I would have to swap, engine/tranny and driveline. Along with the 3 window is bascially drivable, whereas the 5 window will need a year or two.

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 290
I switched cabs & door plates. Had no problems.


"IT IS WHAT IT IS"
1953 Chevrolet 1/2-ton 3100 4x4
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery
More images in Flickr
1948 GMC 1-Ton (now sold to someone in Hawaii!)
In the Gallery
More photo in Flickr
1953 Chevy 1-Ton
Slick69 #863757 07/02/2012 5:31 PM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
If you can weld, add the side windows to the 3 window...there's kits available out there,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
I've seen the 3 to 5 window conversion, and I am a good welder, but it looks to me like way more work and expense than swapping cabs.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Just swap the cabs and since both are registered by their serial numbers, the 49 5-window will still be registered as a 49 5-window, but driveable.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
46gmcpu #864012 07/03/2012 4:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
Swap the cabs and the plates.


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
Originally Posted by johntsmith
Swap the cabs and the plates.


I think swapping the plates is a bad idea. In my area, switching a serial number plate on a vehicle (no matter the age) is fraud. If you change the cab over (and leave it's serial number plate on), then it's the same truck, you just changed the other parts. That way, the law enforcement can't argue the serial number has been tampered with.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
46gmcpu #864398 07/05/2012 2:22 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
The thought to swap plates never crossed my mind, and it wouldn't be necessary becuase both are titled, and both are the same truck other than the year, so no gain in swapping plates.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I think he means the license plates not data plates,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
Why not do what some have done in the past, just swap the 5 window roof part. A while back on this site I remember looking at pictures showing this being done. The roof was removed from the beltline up. 6 or 7 bolts, held the bottom of the cab where it meets the beltline at the back and I believe the left & right post in the windshield area welded and leaded over.The left & right post where cut with just a hacksaw. I have a friend in our club that did this to his 53. He said the whole thing only took 2 1/2 hrs. His truck looks very good.
Maybe you could swap roof's instead of cabs or engine. Just a thought. Hope this helps.

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 64
Y
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Y Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 64
Swap cabs... but I would drive the drivable truck and fix the other if it's only going to take a year or two to fix the 5 window. You'll basciaaly be tearing the entire truck body apart to swap cabs. And you may get into more work then expected. Before tearing the drivable one apart take the 5 window apart first just incase there are surprizes..... Enjoy the 3 window now and work on the 5. Once ready then you can swap.

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
Let your wife "borrow" your truck until the other one is finished. 5 windows is the hangup? Really?
This is the "or worse" part of your wedding vows. She's just gunna have to suck it up and suffer with 2 less pieces of glass for 24 more months. wink

k10 #864621 07/06/2012 1:45 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 43
Yeah, I'm starting to have second thoughts.... and third thoughts... that means I'm thinking too much, and need to sit down and have a beer!

I do like the idea of being able to see out the corners, but all else being equal... is the 5 window going to be worth more down the road or is it kinda a wash. I'm going to sell the 5 window truck, with or without the 5 window cab is yet to be figured out!

I do kinda like the idea of taking the 5 window top off and the "belt seam has opened up a little to where I can see it.


Ahhhhh... where's that beer!

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 324
Just another thought. Back in the day when they were building these trucks, the factory would have had a pile of 3 & 5 window rooves and whatever the build sheet called for is what they would install as the line moved along. This was probably done in less than 15 or 20 minutes.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
All this talk of plates confuses me. headscratch

Don't tamper with the factory ID tags and if you own both trucks you should be OK.

One thought I had; Is both trucks the same other than the windows? Don't try to use a 1/2 ton ID on a 3/4 ton truck or vice versa.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Here's the main issue, paperwork/registration, license plate and ID plate MUST match with what DMV has on record, same with your insurance. So if you have an accident or ticket etc it all looks legit to whom ever. Some guys I know with several old cars switch this stuff depending on what they are driving, even have heard of non-op on some cars with only one registered. I really believe most at DMV and most cops will buy what ever paperwork they see. My issue with one car is the VIN number is sitting on an engine stand and has been for 10 years. Maybe I should haul it around in the trunk, just incase I get pulled over.
ALSO, DO NOT CALL DMV AND ASK PERMISSION!
Best of luck

Last edited by JiMerit Boltr#43; 07/07/2012 4:08 PM.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0