The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hanks custodian, KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Ponchogl), 224 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 95
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 95
Opinions on the subject are as varied as anything; nevertheless, I am considering blocking off my butterfly heat riser valve as it is very worn and flops around. The exhaust is leaking out and blackening everthing around it. Obviously, there ar those who will say that the mechanism was put there by GM for a reason. Others will say it isn't necessary - especially for warmer climates. I can cut a beer can block gasket in about 3 minutes and seal this thing tight. Any input is appreciated.


J.D. Jordan

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
You might be alright with it removed and you might not. Generally you don't need a cold climate to have carb icing problems, just the right combination of humidity etc. There may be a way of getting a bushing installed on your manifold.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Or you can do what i did on mine,,remove the shaft and butterfly completely,,and put 5/16 bolts in the holes.
Marty

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I ran mine with it stuck in the shut position for some time. When I added the fenton headers, I installed a water heat set-up. No more cold blooded hesitations when I try to accelerate. Better gas mileage also, and then even better when I added the O.D., radials and HEI. Every professional engine builder I've talked too sez the intake heat is essential. Even in the warm climates.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
My welder guy who's been spliting 235 manifolds for years says to weld the riser in the closed position.
99 percent of the time it's closed as you are running and warmed up, closed position just protects the underside of the intake.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You can probable get along without it but blocking it off is not a good way. You still get some heat to the intake with the passage open. Remove the shaft & fill the holes is better.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 36
I remove it and welded up the holes and ran even better the when it was in there.More flow for the ehxaust.


1955 GMC Big Window
1957 Chevy 1.5-Ton
1959 Chevy Short Fleetside
Plus lots more ...I LOVE THESE TRUCKS!!!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0