The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (68ironhead, moparguy, fonz8261, Otto Skorzeny, physcult, Bill Hanlon, Phak1), 76 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,128
Posts1,056,682
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
Is there a difference in engine preformance when using the original oil bath or paper air cleaner?

I am currently getting 11 mpg around town....will this get better or is this it. Its the original 235 and seems that no major work has been done to the engine. I am running a manual 4spd, with new 3.37 rearend.

Also, I am moving to Hawaii and taking my 55 1st series 3100. Will the salt air have any affect on the oil bath?

Thanks.

Last edited by Chevy3100_55_1st; 04/14/2012 1:43 AM.

Robert Greer
55 1st
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...just my opinion. I don't think either will change your mpg if both are in good shape.

don't have an opinion on the salt air...well, yes I do, I think your alright there. Its the rest of the truck I'd worry about in salt air. smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Personally, if you get 12 mpg vs. 11 mpg by switching something around, who gives a crap. It won't be enough to make a difference and the point is that you enjoy it over anything else. I'd avoid the beach driving if you can. grin

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,837
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,837
Paper filter elements will do a lot better job of cleaning the air. Back in the early 1950's one of our competitors built a couple of Oldsmobile engines to run in the Daytona race, back when half the track was run down the beach. When they tore the engines down after one 500-mile race, the rings were worn out, and there was a residue of sand in the oil pan that had gotten through the oil bath filter and past the piston rings. The engine was nicely polished inside, though!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I live next to the ocean, and often, when I'm working at the marina, my truck gets covered with salt spray. Corrosion in general, will be a bigger trouble than the air cleaner letting salt into the engine!

Back when I was into LandRovers, it was always said that oil baths would filter out more, and finer junk. I've never read anything that proves this, however, one way or the other.

Having used both the oil bath, and a paper element on my truck, the oil bath is quieter. With a paper element, I can hear more "sucking" from the carb.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
Lived on the Big Island for ten years and can tell you that the good beaches are 4x4 access only mostly over paved road (read pure Ah'A lava) so no racing there... And remember it rains nearly every day (in the mid to late afternoon) which I think is the real rust issue not the salt in the air. My reasoning being I still live 2 miles from the ocean and can leave fresh bare metal for weeks in the garage (enclosed and finished) with no rust forming. Stuff that sits in the rain? Not so much.
This isn't to say you won't have corrosion issues its just meant as an alternative reason as to why...


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0