The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Wally / Montana, BCBill, Gdads51, 66flea, Rusted Nut), 182 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,176
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 90
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 90
Just got the quote from a local radiator shop for recoring a 1937 Chevy radiator. Original style cellular core would be about $670 and newer style tubular core would be $590. It took me a while to find this radiator, which fortunately didn't cost much.

Question is, do I:
1) Bite the bullet and do the recore,
2) Keep looking for something that would work for less money
3) Buy a new one from ??
4) Get a less costly hobby

I want to keep the truck original, within reason. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.


1959 Chevrolet 3800 Pickup
1937 Chevrolet GC Panel
Can you still call it a barn find if it's your barn?
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,901
5) look wider geographically for another radiator company
or #1 as long as your tanks are still good.
But thats JMO, I'm sure there are still shops that don't try and make their rent up off of one client...


Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
I would definitely call around. You might try an old time roofing company. Those boys really know how to solder.

Kurt

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
id look around too. i got three of them recored with the newer style using existing tanks for around 400 each but that was a couple of years ago but less than four.

Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,263
U.S. Radiator list one for a 38 truck starting at 460.00
...link...

Dont know if your 37 is the same but it might be worth a look.

I purchased a radiator from them directly for my 50.


Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
I had mine recored but the top tank never would stay sealed for more then about a year. I think the sheet brass was just getting to thin and heat stress kept cracking the solder joint. I went with a aluminum replacement, but then my truck is not stock.

Joe

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,707
Kerwin,
I bought a NOS radiator for my '38 from Alex Gerz Radiator in Lancaster, PA.
Price was very reasonable.
Call 717-392-6283 ask for Barry
His dad stockpiled them in the 30's and 40's.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I agree with JoeH. Sooner or later the old one will get you. I drove mine using original for several years with 4lb pressure cap but it gave up about 2 years ago. The local shop back then wanted $547 to redo mine. Soooo, I bought me a new aftermarket aluminum, at that time for $250 and it had the tranny cooler in the bottom and now I run a 7lb cap and have never had a moments problem out of it.

Oh, when the guy quoted me $547 understand my core was super nice and was NEW core when I built my 37.... all I wanted him to do was change the tanks which he had that would fit!!! I laughed out loud in front of him and layed the radiator back in my pickup. Maybe his girlfriend needed some money???


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 835
I had my radiator recored by a local shop here in Raleigh about 30 years ago. Was maybe around $100. Has never leaked, and still going strong.

Kurt

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
My new aluminum came with a 16 lb cap ! I went with a 14 just for piece of mind. This is something to conceder if you are having heating problems. A old, recored rad will not take that pressure.

Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0