The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mr Wilson, IHPWR, David Bush), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#796333 11/09/2011 3:41 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
I just started a restoration project and the tag says that it is suppose to have a 230 6 cyl in it, but it has a 292 6 cyl. My question is, is this a huge deal? Should I stick with what I have, or should I seek out a 230 to put back into it?

Restoration is new to me, so I would like some advice! Thanks

Scott

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Most people would jump at the chance to have a 292, and make a boat anchor out of their 230. Unless you're trying for a concours restoration to win car shows with, stick with the bigger engine. 230's were also notorious for getting cracks in the block between the valve lifter bores, which sometime let coolant leak into the oil. The motor mounts would have to be modified to install a 292, as the 230's and 250's had the front mounts directly across from each other, and the passenger's side mount is offset toward the front on a 292.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 74
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 74
If I had the choice between a 292 that I already have or finding a 230 I'd keep the 292. More cubes, more power.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 698
I love my '66 292................


My Fleet:
1941
1953
1959
1965
1966
1953 Willy's Pickup

John

Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 426
My 230's been running for 49 years w/ no major mechanical issues or rebuilds.


http://s971.photobucket.com/albums/ae197/jon63c10
1963 c-10 shortbed stepside 427 BBC T16 HD 3 speed
1963 c-10 shortbed fleetside 348 "w" 1st gen big block & powerglide
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Thanks for the input! I was leaning towards keeping it, power, torque, and amazingly it is running incredibly for sitting for 5 years!

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
The 292 is probably the ultimate early GM inline 6 in terms of performance. (a 302 GMC is perhaps more desireable, but the 292 is better engineered) It has 7 main bearings and represents the pinnacle of GM 6 cylinder engineering until the 4.2 Vortec 6 came out in the Envoy/Trailblazers. If a 292 was available for my 230 powered truck, I'd dump the 230 in a heartbeat for that 292. Leo Santucci has a great book on building this series of inlines. You really ought to pick it up and then you'll realize that you lucked out in getting the 292 already setup in your truck.

k10 #798906 11/18/2011 6:32 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
There's a reason the 292 was around for decades. It's near bulletproof. Lots of parts availability and later versions had electronic ignition (starting in '75 I think?) which is an easy swap.


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
mugsy #799064 11/19/2011 12:36 AM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 51
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 51
Lots & lots of pulling power

Dado #799095 11/19/2011 2:54 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I agree the 292 is the power maker and Leo's book is a must have for any of these inlines. But you could also just swap cranks for a 250 and pick up 20 cubes that way. A cousin just built a 292 for his mid 60s pick up and it will set you back in the seat.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 50
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 50
If you already have the 292 in your truck, I'd definitely stick with that. Most people don't know the difference between a 292 and a 194/230/250 anyway...

I have a 292 in my '63 Chevy II. Here are some pics:
292 in a '63 Chevy II


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0