| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,139 Posts1,056,459 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 5 | I just started a restoration project and the tag says that it is suppose to have a 230 6 cyl in it, but it has a 292 6 cyl. My question is, is this a huge deal? Should I stick with what I have, or should I seek out a 230 to put back into it?
Restoration is new to me, so I would like some advice! Thanks
Scott | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 | Most people would jump at the chance to have a 292, and make a boat anchor out of their 230. Unless you're trying for a concours restoration to win car shows with, stick with the bigger engine. 230's were also notorious for getting cracks in the block between the valve lifter bores, which sometime let coolant leak into the oil. The motor mounts would have to be modified to install a 292, as the 230's and 250's had the front mounts directly across from each other, and the passenger's side mount is offset toward the front on a 292. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 74 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 74 | If I had the choice between a 292 that I already have or finding a 230 I'd keep the 292. More cubes, more power. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 698 | I love my '66 292................
My Fleet: 19411953195919651966 1953 Willy's Pickup John Vegetarian- old Indian word for bad hunter
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 426 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 426 | My 230's been running for 49 years w/ no major mechanical issues or rebuilds. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2011 Posts: 5 | Thanks for the input! I was leaning towards keeping it, power, torque, and amazingly it is running incredibly for sitting for 5 years! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 800 | The 292 is probably the ultimate early GM inline 6 in terms of performance. (a 302 GMC is perhaps more desireable, but the 292 is better engineered) It has 7 main bearings and represents the pinnacle of GM 6 cylinder engineering until the 4.2 Vortec 6 came out in the Envoy/Trailblazers. If a 292 was available for my 230 powered truck, I'd dump the 230 in a heartbeat for that 292. Leo Santucci has a great book on building this series of inlines. You really ought to pick it up and then you'll realize that you lucked out in getting the 292 already setup in your truck. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 734 | There's a reason the 292 was around for decades. It's near bulletproof. Lots of parts availability and later versions had electronic ignition (starting in '75 I think?) which is an easy swap. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 51 | Lots & lots of pulling power | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | I agree the 292 is the power maker and Leo's book is a must have for any of these inlines. But you could also just swap cranks for a 250 and pick up 20 cubes that way. A cousin just built a 292 for his mid 60s pick up and it will set you back in the seat.
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 50 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 50 | If you already have the 292 in your truck, I'd definitely stick with that. Most people don't know the difference between a 292 and a 194/230/250 anyway... I have a 292 in my '63 Chevy II. Here are some pics: 292 in a '63 Chevy II | | |
| |
| |