The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Dennys28, Steelonsteel, Opelika Tom, Guitplayer, Ponchogl), 120 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,401
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#793436 10/29/2011 9:15 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
So I am just about finished with new paint, and a complete new bed on my 63 c10, with a 230 in line 6 motor. My friend stopped by to check out the paint job, Red base coat clear coat. I opened the hood to show off the under hood detailing, and for some reason as we were talking, he opened the radiator cap...and said look, you have oil in here.
Sure enough, so I pulled the dip stick, the level was half way up the stick, not muddy looking, but def. not pure oil. I had just changed the oil a month ago, I have had the truck for 3 years, no engine problems, still runs great, although I only drive on weekends, and not in the last month since I have been painting and doing body work.
Now when I changed the oil in early September, all looked fine, but the guy at the parts store told me I should try a product called Sea Foam when I change the oil, just add it to the crank case to keep that classic running great he said. So I added half a bottle, still have the other half.
Could this have caused a head gasket failure somewhere so the water and oil mixed?
I am about to drain the crank case. and radiator, change the oil and add some Barrs stop leak when I fill the radiator. This may be to little too late, and I may half to pull the head.
I never had any oil burning, but now that I remember, in the last month , every time I start the engine, there is some blue smoke out the tail pipe, I thought I would have to rebuild the head at some point, new valve guides and oil seals, but maybe there is something more going on.
Any suggestions?

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
bars leak will not cure your problem.
ron

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
OK, thanks, where do you think it could be leaking? just a head gasket? do you think the Sea Foam had anything to do with it? I never drive the truck more than 20 miles once or twice a month, just to home depot or to a land fill.? Just curious what could have caused it to just start?

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
check the oil again and see if you can smell gas, that should also indicate a head gasket might be blown...

seems funny that this started after you put the other additive in it.. maybe you are actually seeing that stuff.... why not try
draining the coolant and oil. replace and without the stuff you added and see what you get... might be worth a try...

also if you have a blown head gasket, that booger should be running hot pretty quick, water out of the tail pipe, loss of coolant....I am far from being a mechanic but that would be what I would do or have a good mechanic you trust to check it out..

good luck, let us know what you find

Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

joker #793453 10/29/2011 9:57 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
I am headed out the door to change the oil now. But I only added sea foam to the engine, and oil or something like it is in the radiator, so it migrated over somewhere. But no white smoke out the exhaust like normally seen with a blown head gasket. I am draining the radiator also. Will post again later if any up dates. Thanks

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
unless you know what the problem is ,I wouldn't run it to much in case you get and water in the oil and I doubt that you would like the cleansing action that it provides.
pressure test your cooling system. that will help in finding where things are going and a compression test
ron

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...lots of things to do. In addition to suggestions above I'd pull the plugs and take a good look at them, do a compression test on each cylinder while they are out and maybe pull the valve cover and look at the rubber valve seals to see if some of them are cracked.
Smoke on the initial start up and clearing up later is a sure sign of valve guide/seal problems.

Be sure to let us know what you find.

Oh, while Seafoam is good stuff beware that the parts counter guys are trained to "sell stuff" and there may have even been a program for them to see how many they can sell and get two dollars extra on their paycheck!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
I changed oil and drained the radiator, flushed engine,then let cool down. Compression tested all cyl. all good. Can pressure test the radiator tomorrow. I also ran motor for 5 min after new oil, topped off radiator, ran good. Some blue smoke for about a min, then cleared up. Also checked oil after 30 min, looked good. Not sure but oil migrated into radiator some how.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If it is an auto trans. it could be trans. fluid getting in from a cracked cooler in the radiator.
The early models of that engine had problems with the block cracking in the lifter gallery. That let oil get into the cooling system. It is hard to diagnose because it cant be seen without a complete teardown. There is no fix for it other then another engine. Keep up the diagnostic work, but if it continues I would be looking for a good 250 engine.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 28
This truck has a 3 speed on the column, so no auto trans. The oil looked god today, but I only checked it one time, and did not start it or drive it. I will monitor it for a few days, then see what needs to be done. I like your statement, about " if it ain't broke...sell it and buy one that is" !

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
....and extended drive may be more "telling". If possible take it for a long cruise as one of your diagnostic test and then take another look at things.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 788
might be a little more telling on your pocket book as it could come home on a hook.
ron

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
IMO - I don't think you can "fix" a problem like that with additives.
At best they will only put off fixing the problem and cost a few more bucks.

TOMORROW: One of the greatest labor saving devices of today.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0