The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Justhorsenround, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
After reading Bruce's post about the best chamois I thought I'd ask if anyone has ever detailed their car or truck using the clay bars. I did some reading on them not long ago and its stated that the pro's at the BIG FANCY car shows use the clay bars to really spruce them up.

So, if any of you have ever done this would you please give us your experience and tips on the brands and the how to's.
Is it that tough to use it.
Thanks


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Hi Alvin.....I have used Clay bars on both my '40 and BMW. Its pretty amazing the amount of crud that is left on your paint after washing ! The clay takes it off really well. If you run your hand before & after, paint is much smoother. After you " clay " you need to rewax the vehicle. Pretty easy to use / just keep the surface wet


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
A guy I know from Inliners used it on his car. At the time he told me about it he hadn't completed doing the entire car. You could see and feel the difference. Pretty impressive. None of mine have paint good enough to use it on though.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
It may vary depending on the quality of your paint job. I have used clay bars and see no difference in the finished job. The clay bar is picking up some stuff because it will get some discoloration and has to be folded into itself to keep it clean. On my vehicles I can see absolutely no difference between areas I used a clay bar on and those I didn't. I quit using them. When I did use them it was on paint that did not need compounding, just polish and wax.

Chuck

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Bruce, when you say wet you mean keep the hose running on it or just dip it in the pail and rub...dip in pail and rub...
I know it has instructions on the clay bars but first hand experience trumps instructions!!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 554
There are specialized solutions sold by the same folks that sell the clay bars. You should also be able to find some at any FLAPS that sell clay bars. I think they would try to stick with just water. You want them to glide when you are using it.

Chuck

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Folks I know with high end cars swear by the clay bars


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Originally Posted by oldbluetruck
Folks I know with high end cars swear by the clay bars

That's cause they don't do the rubbing, they just write the check. grin


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Alvin......I just use a spray bottle with plain water. Keep the area you are working on nice and wet. As Hookalatch mentioned, you just keep folding the clay over on itself as it picks up the grime.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 275
I detail vehicles as a side business and have for over 40 years. If you want to wax or polish (even with a buffer) and you want to make it easy on yourself, clay first--it's only been available outside of the commercial autobody stores for the past few years. Don't bother using the detailer that sometimes comes with the kit, just wash the vehicle and leave it wet--even soapy is OK, keep it wet and go over the body panels and even the glass with the clay. It will take off tar (tar remover works better, though) and overspray. Then spray off the vehicle, dry, and wax. BTW, if you ever get overspray on the plastic lenses of your glasses, it is about the only safe thing to use on them--and it works.


1956 Chevy 3100
261/700r4 (formerly 3 speed OD)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
THANK YOU guys. Just what I wanted to know. This will make a nice "winter project".


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 457
VERY interesting thread. We sold clay bars where I used to work, but I never talked to anyone who used them. Good info!


1940 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup "KC"
A day without sunshine is like, well, ..... dark!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
Hey Alvin, I used mine on my windshield too. It never squeegeed so well when I have the wipers on. Better than Rain Off.


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thanks Paul. I haven't had the time to try it yet but it is on my "to do" list for the 37. After all these years it DESERVES a good quality sprucing up. Again, thanks guys for your input.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 85
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 85
I have been detailing for over 12 years....I read everyone's post...here are my quick tips:
my preferred "over the counter" clay bars are 'clay magic' or 'mothers'
Use soap and water for the lubricant. You do not need to buy specific lubricant for the clay bar....it's a sales scheme.
Wash the car, then clay it, wash it again....then dry it and wax it.

The purpose of the clay is to remove surface contaminants
and airborn "fallout"
You will know when a section is done cause it will feel very smooth.

Clay does not remove scratches.
Do not use circular motions. Go "with the airflow" (that's my technique)

If anyone wants to talk further....feel free to Message me.

If you are an online shopper, check out autogeek.com
(I have no affiliation to them)


Do something! Even if it's wrong!

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0