The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Swami29, Gdads51, joe apple, 2 invisible), 88 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,637
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#762158 07/13/2011 6:40 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 578
Had a cooling system all apart, now put back together and I have coolant leaking up through the boltholes. I'm wondering if the gasket maybe got ripped near a bolt.
Could I just pull the bolt and coat it in Permatex and put it back in?


"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,714
That might work. A T-stat gasket is real cheap and a correct fix.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
If the bolts go into where water flows always put some sealer on them. Its just good insurance. If the "mating surface" is rough or pitted I'd rub a little sealer on it to even with a new gasket.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Agree with that, replacing any of those gaskets is an easy inexpensive task Jim. I'd just take a fifteen minutes, pull it apart, clean it up real good and put in a new gasket using some Permatex #2. The only way you could have water leaking up thru the bolt is if the gasket is damaged as you already suspect.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by Denny Graham
The only way you could have water leaking up thru the bolt is if the gasket is damaged as you already suspect.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Yeppers.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0