| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,633 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | Had a cooling system all apart, now put back together and I have coolant leaking up through the boltholes. I'm wondering if the gasket maybe got ripped near a bolt. Could I just pull the bolt and coat it in Permatex and put it back in?
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 back yard wrench turner | | back yard wrench turner Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 1,714 | That might work. A T-stat gasket is real cheap and a correct fix. Wayne1938 1-Ton Farm TruckStovebolt Gallery Forums1989 Silverado 1996 Mustang GT convertible When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | If the bolts go into where water flows always put some sealer on them. Its just good insurance. If the "mating surface" is rough or pitted I'd rub a little sealer on it to even with a new gasket. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Agree with that, replacing any of those gaskets is an easy inexpensive task Jim. I'd just take a fifteen minutes, pull it apart, clean it up real good and put in a new gasket using some Permatex #2. The only way you could have water leaking up thru the bolt is if the gasket is damaged as you already suspect. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | The only way you could have water leaking up thru the bolt is if the gasket is damaged as you already suspect. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL Yeppers.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | |
| |
| |