The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Lostbuthaulinass, 32Fordpuchoptop, moparguy), 106 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I have begun my gear swap, but I think something is wrong. How far is the rear pinion bearing supposed to go into the torque tube housing? I still see maybe 1/4" exposed. Also, Why would my backlash be about .030? I have not used the bearing adjusters yet, but is that excessive. Could this be due to the pinion not being seated enough? I have already banged on it with the wooden end of a large hammer and it moved enough for me to secure the bearing retainer ring with the three lock bolts. I think that is as far as it will go then, isn't it? It just makes me unsure because of the excessive backlash. One of my adjusting nuts does not thread all the way in to its respective saddle. It is not a problem with the saddle either. The other adjusting nut goes all the way in on each side and the problem one doesn't go all the way in on either side. I have cleaned and inspected the threads and it doesn't look like there is anything wrong. I have a couple problems here that may be related to the same thing. Any suggestions?

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Any reason why you don't want to take the rear end to a good shop to have it done professionally?

Rear ends are one of the things that I would not tackle myself, because if it's not set up right, it will drastically shorten the life.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 169
Justin,

I would look closely at the three cone nose lock bolts - are they screwed in as far as they were when you took them out?

If not, I would suspect that maybe a shim didn't seat squarely in the bore, not allowing the pinion to seat all the way. I don't remember how much bearing was visible in mine but that sounds like a lot. I don't remember even being able to see back there.

I would take the carrier out and determine why the adjusters won't screw in freely. It is easy to get them cross threaded.

Don't forget, you MUST check the gear mesh pattern.

Paul

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
Check out the engine and driveline portion of my webshots page. I believe that I have solved the problem. All I need to do now is get the gear mesh pattern right and I don't know what to think of mine. That's on the webshots page too. I posted a thread about this on oldgmctrucks forums, but I can't access it right now for some reason. It is under the "active questions" section of the project truck forum if anyone wants to read it.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I have almost completed this and can anybody tell me if this looks like the correct gear mesh pattern. I am fairly certain that this is correct, but please tell me if I am wrong.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2744295090100058208ZVwIEw
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2125965620100058208IRgvnJ

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
Justin, looks pretty good to me just make sure you get the backlash correct and you should be ready to go.
Tom

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
from the guestions asked on the first post I think it would be a good idea for you to seek the help of a pro as you are dealing with wear patterans,,back lash plus preloads on both pinion and carrier...doc

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I can't get onto oldgmctrucks forums right now, but I have already got tons of help from experienced people there and I followed their instructions as well as the instructions provided with the kit. I am certain that I put it back together correct and I just wanted some input on whether my gear mesh pattern was correct or not.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
Hard to tell from a monitor but looks OK to me also. White lube might show up better on a monitor. This page has some pics.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
You need to take doc41's suggestion a little more serious. The wear pattern may look OK right now, but if the preload isn't right, the wear pattern and the back lash will change before you get it out of first gear.


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
Per patrick's instructions: turn the bearing adjusters two notches past snug to achieve proper preload. Isn't that all it comprises of after setting backlash and gear mesh pattern? Then locking the adjusters with the little clamps that bolt on top of the bearing cap. I spent about an hour double checking everything and setting backlash and then I continued with the instructions. Although it was hard, I turned the bearing adjusters two notches past snug, just like the instructions said. Then I checked backlash again...still the same. I then locked down the bearing adjusters. It feels as if there is a little more resistance when turning the ring gear now. Is that the result of setting the proper preload? Also, before I put it in all the way, is this the proper orientation of the grease seal on the okie bushing? http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2558402810100058208PrMAkw

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
That looks like a real good pattern. If your backlash is in specs. sew it up & drive it away. There will be some drag with the preload like that. I have always tightened each side about 1 notch to line up the hole for the retainer, but those people know more about it than I do.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I'm not sure if I understand your problem exactly, but,

Are your pinion bearings set properly? There is a "squish" collar on the rear end I did recently. I had to tighten the pinion shaft nut down until that collar squished enough to take out the play inbetween the pinion shaft bearings.

That bearing end play will screw up the rest of the setup, or at least give false readings.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
I don't think there is anything like a squish collar on mine. Here is a picture of everything on my pinion assembly before installing it on the driveshaft: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2140123210100058208LACgcV
I think with the help of everybody here I have got it figured out.

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
Git R Done Justin, let us know how she run's.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0