The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (HandyAndy, klhansen, 1946chevytruck, Otto Skorzeny, 37 GC, 1955 1 Series), 138 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,114
Posts1,056,607
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 125
T
6 heaven
6 heaven
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 125
I saw a post for a Lucas oil treatment for a worn engine, just don't know where I saw it. Does anyone know what I'm talikng about?

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Use the 'search' function for Lucas. It has been posted frequently of late.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
H
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 202
Yes I do. I have used it and it is a very good product. Its better than old STP. It handles high pressure and coats all moving parts with a film that keeps things lubricated. Its not snake oil. Its good for all engines whether worn or new. It helps eliminate dry starts. STP just thinkens the oil, nothing more. I think you will like it. It will keep your engine running longer than without it. Henry

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
FYI I saw a rep this week at a trade show. Told me that the bottom line is that all oil is graded, like diamonds, from 1 to 14 (highest). The Lucas oil is a Grade 12 plus it has some other secret additives. Regular oil is about a 6 or 8.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
If all that is true I can't help but wonder why Shell or Texaco or Mobil wouldn't have a comparable product. Think what a tremendous advantage it would give them in the marketplace. All companies are always looking for an edge. It's all marketing and three card monty. Call me a doubting Thomas but I call it snake oil. If you look closely your see those 60 MPG carburators lurking back there on the same shelf. :rolleyes:


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
I've used a product called "Restore" it helped a blow-by problem.I've used Slick50 not so good I think

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
O Reilly sells it ...doc

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Shell, Texaco and Mobil could sell a higher grade oil number but the price would be about $15 a quart, similar to the Lucas price.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Yes, oldblu49, I suppose it would but asking for large amounts of money doesn't seem to be a problem for the oil companies. They send me into sticker shock everytime I fill up!

While were on the subject have you heard about the proposed ammendment to the Clean Air Act that would mandate ethonol based fuels? If enacted we'd all have to go the airport and buy 100 octane gas for $5 a gallon to keep our hotrods and performance cars running. Ain't that a kick in the pants?


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,430
T
Crusty Old Sarge
Crusty Old Sarge
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,430
Lucas makes some great products, their transmission additive works like a charm. I have used Lucas oil treatment as an assembly lube with great results, it coats everything internally and won't clog the filter like Molly lube. I have used it with engines that have set up for years and had the same great results.I think it's worth the added price just for peace of mind.


~ Craig
1958 Viking 4400
"The Book of Thor"
Read the story in the DITY
1960 Chevrolet C10
"A Family Heirloom"
Follow the story in the DITY Gallery
'59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)

If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Regards ethanol fuels, they say it pollutes more to make the stuff than the benefit it allegedly gives.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 172
Quote
Originally posted by olblu49:
Regards ethanol fuels, they say it pollutes more to make the stuff than the benefit it allegedly gives.
Depends on what you use. Growing corn or something is very intensive...fertilizer, bug sprays, tilling, machinery, etc.

Now if we looked to using non-farm products...grass, hay, and other self replicating plants that don't need that intensive care...it would be better.

But leave it up to the gov't to screw something up.


1965 Chevy C-30 1-Ton
"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
better then running raylube now thats snake oil theres defferent oils for defferent jobs im sure lucus works but wont make the engine new again but will make it run cleaner

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Most folks just know what has "worked" for them and no one really knows the condition of the engine at the time. So, its anyones guess. What I do on a lot of ocassions is to send off for the "lab or test" information by calling or writing the number or address on the can. You would(but not me) be amazed at the claims these companies make from test in controlled
inviroments. Someone mentioned "Restore". That is the last one that I sent for info on and yes, in their test they list the engines/mileage and lots of other info which is good reading. BUT, for the money you spend your wasting your time. Now understand, I'm not against using some additives, but I am against the misleading, or deceptive type advertising used to promote the stuff. I believe it was John Milliman who listed a site not long ago that was real good reading on these additives we pay for when "most" oil already has it in it....and the windfall of profit in it for these companies. Pehaps an additive is good to get you by until the problem can be fixed/repaired but there is no excuse for not performing regular maintenance until something reaches its mechanical limits and then gets a real fix!!
Let me throw some fuel on the fire along a different line.... the oil with the lowest co-efficiency(hope I said that right) is TUFF OIL. These folks will send you info to and how/what test determine the results....which of coarse is sanctioned by the governement....wouldn't you know!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0