The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Woodcmiami, wilbur53, Goach2, Jay R, Donf), 128 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,154
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#739345 04/15/2011 4:40 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Never had a cordless drill and was in Home Depot one morning and they had an 18v Hitachi drill on special. Two batteries, drill, charger and case for $99. Bought it, love it and used it to do more screwing than hole making. But one battery died. Go to Home Depot for a replacement. Not a chance. They don't carry them anymore. Tried Hitachi themselves and they could not direct me to any merchant nearby who sells them. Finally found one through a tool supplier and they want $80. I only paid $99 for the kit and I guess like computer printers its cheaper to buy a whole new drill than buy the battery. More stuff going into the landfill. Shame.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
check around, most of those tool batteries can be rebuilt for half price or less, up here Midland Tools does it

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
I had a Hitachi drill, screwed the life out of it making some trusses, then I let it sit unused to long...battery died.
Got a Kawasaki drill at Sam's for a great price.

If I would keep the batteries charged they would last, but I forget to do that.

So the wife buys me a Makita drill combo for Xmas, and I'm thinking.....Ah yes, nother oriental drill !!!

But this one has the lithium ion batteries which I can't believe the difference in battery life, and they don't go dead sitting around like the previous types would.

I'm sure glad I have this type now because with so many battery run things around I need a pet monkey to go around and plug things in for charge. Ther's a cell phone,ipod, camera, 3 drills, 3 flashlights, trailer battery, 3 boat batteries, plus car, truck, and tractor batteries.
Sometimes drives me batty !!

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I have an 18v Dewalt drill/driver with two batteries and a smart/quick charger. I've had it for two years now with no problems. I forget what I paid (in the neighborhood of $110) but it's been money well spent.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Check amazon for the battery replacement using the old battery part number. Worked for me on a simular product.


1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 252
I own a small renovation (remodelling) company and we use Hitachi drills exclusively and have never had a battery go on us.
I found a company here in Canada that supplies batteries for almost anything and I have bought replacements for Makitas and DeWalt that have died and the price is quite good.
Try googling replacement batteries and see what you find.
If all else fails e me and I will look into from this end.
Peter


1951 Chevy 3100 5-Window
"Howard"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Contacted Midland Tool. Awaiting an answer. Thanks for the tip.
Bill


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
I have had a DeWalt for several years now and it is AOK.The batteries seem to stay charged forever,and the drill has plenty of power.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Contacted Midland Tool a week ago via email. No reply.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
olblu - I phoned the local - if it's a Li-Ion battery they can't do it, other types [Ni-Cad, etc] vary by the amp rating, from about $70 up to $100 .... gotten spendier since I had one done, maybe not worth it .... I've had great service from a CDN Tire Mastercraft that wasn't too much over $100 on sale

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Thanks Bill. Its a ni-cad but they seem quite pricey. KMS can get me a new one for $79. I know I can get others but it just means the Hitachi will end up in the landfill. Against my personal policy.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
I hear ya, I keep things working until they disintegrate, then save'em for parts .... you might check around 2nd hand stores for another battery .... someone gave me a cordless drill that only came with one battery - it's a bother sometimes, but I just try to remember to plug it in the charger overnight after any day it's used much

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
For what it's worth there's a fellow locally who rebuilds batteries that won't hold a charge. He says that it's normally one or two cells in the pack that go bad. He disassembles the battery packs, tests the individual cells and takes good cells from one pack to replace bad cells in another. Sounds like a lot of work to me but he seems to like the result.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,393
I have purchased several Hitachi tools from this company both new and reconditioned. Great prices(I think.) and excellent service.

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/


Drew
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
The bad thing is I really like this drill and want to keep it going. It is amazing how these box stores - Home Depot in this case - sell the tool and then change to another brand later. And when you want parts they cannot/won't help.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Bill, the sad part is it doesn't surprise me. If they keep rotating stock or switching parts, they never have to help you and spend time 'looking'. Plus, how many people turn around and buy another tool when they can't find the part they need. It's unethical business practice at it's best.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0