Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,274 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 | Hey fellow stovebolters, Im in search of a part and hope 1 of you may have the answer. My dash had black plastic plugs that filled in were the cigarette liter and radio knobs would have been. Im lookin for the bigger one that went were the cigarette lighter gose. Cant seem to find it. Anyone maybe know who sells them. Thanks for your help.
I could put in a cigarette lighter but since it did not come with one I am trying not to add one. But it is a option to fill in the hole.
I think they are called plug buttons. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | I've never seen any of the 3 different blanking buttons reproduced and they're scarce used, but your best bet would be a post in the parts wanted
Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 65 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 65 | Just popped mine in today! I have never seen a cig lighter plug though, I thought that was standard! My base model 59 had it from the factory. The cig lighter has a black plastic knob, so it blends in with the other knobs on the dash.
Personally I would just add the cig lighter. Looks better then a hole!
1951 1/2 Ton 216ci 4spd 1955 3/4 Ton NAPCO 235ci 4spd 1959 1/2 Ton stepside 235ci 4spd
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | the lighter was included with the deluxe cab package, but was otherwise an optional accessoryBill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 65 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2011 Posts: 65 | the lighter was included with the deluxe cab package, but was otherwise an optional accessoryBill WOW didn't know that stainless vent shades were a factory accessory. Just ordered a set from Jim Carter for my '59.
1951 1/2 Ton 216ci 4spd 1955 3/4 Ton NAPCO 235ci 4spd 1959 1/2 Ton stepside 235ci 4spd
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 | ok, well I will see what I can find. It came with the deluxe heater so no one should no the diff if I add a lighter. But If I could find the cap that would be super cool. The old one broke from age.  | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | I found the plugs in various sizes, black/white /clear at Lowes ask a clerk as they are hard to locate | | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | Mine had a chrome one with spring fingers to hold it in place. I wonder if they are available...
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | the lighter hole plug was different than the rest, as Pete sez, they had the springy finger to fit the large hole [chrome with optional chrome knobs, black plastic with standard black knobs] like the radio dial blanking plate - the throttle hole plug had a peg on the back that was captured by a sheet metal press-nut - the radio knob-hole plugs had a plastic tube shaped part that snuggly fit those holes with no keeper .... I've only ever seen one original lighter button, and the other 2 types wouldn't hold in that larger hole Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 640 | What year truck are we talking about?
On my '48, there's a chrome plug where the lighter would go, and the radio deleet plate has two metal filler attachments for the radio knob holes. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | the original question was in regard to a 59 - my comments concern the 55-59
Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ...grandpa, you may want to try Ace Hardware. I've not purchased any of them but I have seen them there. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2010 Posts: 291 | ok, Cool. I will check the places out. Ill post some pix when I get a chance for thoughs who naver saw the bigger size plug. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2011 Posts: 1,362 | All those plugs had the same basic shape as all the other knobs on the dash. Hmmm if a guy had the correct type of plastic, it would be a fairly simple cnc lathe program to whip them up. You will not find a task force factory correct part at a local hardware store.
Kicking self for selling off my Taskforce trucks. Still looking for an LCF or conventional big bolt in decent shape.
As of 10-26-2022, A 55.2 Taskforce long bed now the work begins
| | |
| |