The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Hanlon, DaveV, Phak1, Rusty Heaps, Gray_Ghost), 146 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,551
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#685500 10/13/2010 12:09 AM
2
2oldchevys
Unregistered
2oldchevys
Unregistered
2
Well guy, I finally got the nerve up to take my 54 out for a drive. Just up the strret to get gas! But It's the first time I had ever atually driven the ole' gal. To start with I had trouble getting her started, not the trucks fault! More my own dim witted experience. It has a 3 on the tree with a foot start and I had little to no idea how to work it. Us youngsters have rarely driven something that ya didn't just turn a key and put in "D" . dang

So once I overcame my limitations and I figured out the all too simple gearing! headscratch I backed out of the driveway and headed up the road. As I was driving I noticed a lot of play in the steering, I will have to work on that as soon as I can. Anyway, she ran just fine and didn't protest too much when I shifted gears. So I managed to get the 1/2 mile up the street to the local 7-eleven. grin

There was a group of older guys standing by a newer truck just chatting, they all had to stop and stare as I pulled up to the pump. ohwell Oh, did I mention I pulled up on the wrong side!! :P that will teach me! Once I got righted and put some fuel in, I was back on the way. Just gonna head to the house. But, it was an interesting trip. headscratch

As I left the station folks where still gawking as they drove by. I have to say, I've owned several cars in my life. Some were serious head turners for sure! But I never had the same feeling as I had as folks would watch this old bolt cruising along. cool

Soo that's my story and I'm sure I'll have plenty more of em' once I get more comfortable with how she handles. I woke this morning and walked out to my normal mode of transportation, turned the key and backed out of the driveway heading to work. As I did I found myself longing to get in my 54 and take her instead! grin

Hope ya'll have enjoyed my tale.
good luck and enjoy your own bolt!

2oldchevys wave

Last edited by 2oldchevys; 10/13/2010 12:14 AM.
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
It is a lot of fun driving these old trucks. Sometimes I get quizzed about my truck and that feels good.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by 2oldchevys
Us youngsters have rarely driven something that ya didn't just turn a key and put in "D" .

My first drive in the 56 was also to get gas. After I fueled up, I just about took out the pump when I tried to start it in gear. No idiot devices in these things.

Have fun.


1956 Chevy 3600 Dually
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
I guess i have been lucky, am able drive my truck a lot. i have it for 24 years and it was a daily driver for most of the years except for the two years it was being redone. yes you will get a lot of looks and conversations. i got as many before i had it redone as i do now. the fun question is what kind of engine, my answer is a corvette six, i get a lot of knowing nods. some never catch on.


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,132
2oldchevys. Have fun with that thing!

Weeds

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 46
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 46
My first drive in my 58 fleetside was from Wichita Kansas to Austin Texas. Smooth all the way, but a little noisey.


1958 Apache Shortbed Fleetside
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 81
You brought back good memories for me! I was able to use mine as a daily driver for about 2 years. I was just 17yrs old at the time, and the truck was ruff looking, but people just love these trucks. I would get good comments everywhere I went. Had to park it or nearly 13 years due to be moving to the big city. Was to afraid it would get stolen. Now I am rebuilding it, and should be able to drive it again in a few months. Can't wait! Nothing like driving these trucks. Just love the feel of it, keeping it mostly original.


1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/
Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time.
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
Oh man, First real cruise I had to wear goggles. When I got my truck in 1980 the guys ex-girlfriend had sat inside and kicked every piece of glass out !!! I put my 350- out of a Chevelle that I wrecked in it and drove it with no glass smile been to Seattle and back twice since then. I bought it in Seattle and live in Kansas now. It sat in my garage for 10 yrs. and just got it out again last week. I am having so much fun. A friend just saw me on the hiway tonite and said I look just like I did 20 yrs. ago driving my truck. :):)


1960 Chevy Long Wheel Base

When I die, I plan to slide in sideways yelling "Woohoo what a ride!"
2
2oldchevys
Unregistered
2oldchevys
Unregistered
2
Well it sounds like I might have touched some nostalgic nerves with a few of you guys! grin All I can say is thanks for your inputs and thanks for the shared memories. thumbs_up
I will be looking forward to my next drive for sure. Right now I need to get some glass back in the windows and rubber around the doors so it will be safe and a little less breezy when driving.
drive

Thanks again for the comments gang!

2oldchevys chug

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Sounds like you are really enjoying the experiance. Now get some glass in there! LOL


Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Ron, If you were REALLY old (like me), you would remember when Corvettes had a 6 cylinder! 1953 & 1954 both had sixes (not sure about 1955---

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
Great story!
I have the same feeling every time I take my 57 out.
The truck was my fathers and he had it since it was new. While growing up the unwritten rule was don't mess with dads truck. Don't wreck it or take it without permission. Funny, I still have that feeling 35 years later and after he passed away.
After the frame of resto on it...I very gingerly drove the truck out of the garage for the very first time and went about 200 feet and then back to the garage, visualizing that the wheels would fall off or I had over looked something. It still is very new to take the truck out and my wife can tell I stress when on the road. I hope to get over that! I look toward the future and wonder what kids years from now will have to restore. I doubt they will want to restore a 2010 Chevy truck. With all the fancy gadgets and computer junk on them.
Good luck with your truck and keep it forever!


1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
Congrats!! thumbs_up
It does feel good to drive it for the first time. And yes, something funny or silly usually happens the first time out. Enjoy it! The looks, smiles, laughs, waves, thumbs-up and even the occasional sneer or growl from an observer is fun.
Have Fun Safely! wave


Professional Novice
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 272
Yup good memories mine sat in a field for 10-12 years. Brought her home again and cleaned the points, changed the oil and she STARTED grin. Drove her around the block until the gas can hanging from the hood ran out, pushed it home and started the teardown.

Brad


Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
U
'Bolter
'Bolter
U Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 714
Oh,
Forgot to say, living in San Fran we have alot of tree huggin granola eatin Prias people. So they give me the dirty looks with my smelly exhaust.
I tell them I am big into recycling...


1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

The coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain
If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you!
If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!!
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 695
Thanks 2oldchevys, for sharing the story!
I look forward to having that experience when I'm done working her back to life... You know, it's really a fulfilling thing to be able to bring life back to a grand old vehicle. I'm so thankful for my dad, God rest his soul, for teaching me as a boy. Somehow I feel him smiling on my project!


1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
2
2oldchevys
Unregistered
2oldchevys
Unregistered
2
Got the weatherstrip and such ordered, just waiting so I can put the windows back in and she'll be on the road.

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 96
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 96


I have a 65 and a 66 in process currently.

Originally Posted by 2oldchevys
Well it sounds like I might have touched some nostalgic nerves with a few of you guys! grin All I can say is thanks for your inputs and thanks for the shared memories. thumbs_up
I will be looking forward to my next drive for sure. Right now I need to get some glass back in the windows and rubber around the doors so it will be safe and a little less breezy when driving.
drive

Thanks again for the comments gang!

2oldchevys chug

Last edited by cletis; 10/25/2010 5:58 PM. Reason: removed personal question

66 GMC SWB
65 Chevy LWB
65 GMC SWB

918-446-2245
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 222
Originally Posted by UnklRod
Oh,
Forgot to say, living in San Fran we have alot of tree huggin granola eatin Prias people. So they give me the dirty looks with my smelly exhaust.
I tell them I am big into recycling...

That's brilliant, I'm stealing your line for sure.



Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,842
2oldchevys,
Remember, without pictures, it never happened. cool


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0