Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Gray_Ghost),
87
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,541 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | | 2oldchevys Unregistered | | 2oldchevys Unregistered | Well guy, I finally got the nerve up to take my 54 out for a drive. Just up the strret to get gas! But It's the first time I had ever atually driven the ole' gal. To start with I had trouble getting her started, not the trucks fault! More my own dim witted experience. It has a 3 on the tree with a foot start and I had little to no idea how to work it. Us youngsters have rarely driven something that ya didn't just turn a key and put in "D" .  So once I overcame my limitations and I figured out the all too simple gearing!  I backed out of the driveway and headed up the road. As I was driving I noticed a lot of play in the steering, I will have to work on that as soon as I can. Anyway, she ran just fine and didn't protest too much when I shifted gears. So I managed to get the 1/2 mile up the street to the local 7-eleven.  There was a group of older guys standing by a newer truck just chatting, they all had to stop and stare as I pulled up to the pump.  Oh, did I mention I pulled up on the wrong side!! :P that will teach me! Once I got righted and put some fuel in, I was back on the way. Just gonna head to the house. But, it was an interesting trip.  As I left the station folks where still gawking as they drove by. I have to say, I've owned several cars in my life. Some were serious head turners for sure! But I never had the same feeling as I had as folks would watch this old bolt cruising along.  Soo that's my story and I'm sure I'll have plenty more of em' once I get more comfortable with how she handles. I woke this morning and walked out to my normal mode of transportation, turned the key and backed out of the driveway heading to work. As I did I found myself longing to get in my 54 and take her instead!  Hope ya'll have enjoyed my tale. good luck and enjoy your own bolt! 2oldchevys 
Last edited by 2oldchevys; 10/13/2010 12:14 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | It is a lot of fun driving these old trucks. Sometimes I get quizzed about my truck and that feels good. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 82 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2008 Posts: 82 | Us youngsters have rarely driven something that ya didn't just turn a key and put in "D" . My first drive in the 56 was also to get gas. After I fueled up, I just about took out the pump when I tried to start it in gear. No idiot devices in these things. Have fun.
1956 Chevy 3600 Dually
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | I guess i have been lucky, am able drive my truck a lot. i have it for 24 years and it was a daily driver for most of the years except for the two years it was being redone. yes you will get a lot of looks and conversations. i got as many before i had it redone as i do now. the fun question is what kind of engine, my answer is a corvette six, i get a lot of knowing nods. some never catch on.
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 | 2oldchevys. Have fun with that thing!
Weeds | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 46 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 46 | My first drive in my 58 fleetside was from Wichita Kansas to Austin Texas. Smooth all the way, but a little noisey.
1958 Apache Shortbed Fleetside
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 81 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 81 | You brought back good memories for me! I was able to use mine as a daily driver for about 2 years. I was just 17yrs old at the time, and the truck was ruff looking, but people just love these trucks. I would get good comments everywhere I went. Had to park it or nearly 13 years due to be moving to the big city. Was to afraid it would get stolen. Now I am rebuilding it, and should be able to drive it again in a few months. Can't wait! Nothing like driving these trucks. Just love the feel of it, keeping it mostly original.
1950 Chevy 3100 Blog w/Pics - http://txchevy50.blogspot.com/Goal: Clean, Rebuild, Paint, & Drive on a budget. Major restore of components will be done over time. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2010 Posts: 24 | Oh man, First real cruise I had to wear goggles. When I got my truck in 1980 the guys ex-girlfriend had sat inside and kicked every piece of glass out !!! I put my 350- out of a Chevelle that I wrecked in it and drove it with no glass  been to Seattle and back twice since then. I bought it in Seattle and live in Kansas now. It sat in my garage for 10 yrs. and just got it out again last week. I am having so much fun. A friend just saw me on the hiway tonite and said I look just like I did 20 yrs. ago driving my truck. :):) | | | | | | 2oldchevys Unregistered | | 2oldchevys Unregistered | Well it sounds like I might have touched some nostalgic nerves with a few of you guys!  All I can say is thanks for your inputs and thanks for the shared memories. I will be looking forward to my next drive for sure. Right now I need to get some glass back in the windows and rubber around the doors so it will be safe and a little less breezy when driving. Thanks again for the comments gang! 2oldchevys  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,602 | Sounds like you are really enjoying the experiance. Now get some glass in there! LOL | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 143 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 143 | Ron, If you were REALLY old (like me), you would remember when Corvettes had a 6 cylinder! 1953 & 1954 both had sixes (not sure about 1955---
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Great story! I have the same feeling every time I take my 57 out. The truck was my fathers and he had it since it was new. While growing up the unwritten rule was don't mess with dads truck. Don't wreck it or take it without permission. Funny, I still have that feeling 35 years later and after he passed away. After the frame of resto on it...I very gingerly drove the truck out of the garage for the very first time and went about 200 feet and then back to the garage, visualizing that the wheels would fall off or I had over looked something. It still is very new to take the truck out and my wife can tell I stress when on the road. I hope to get over that! I look toward the future and wonder what kids years from now will have to restore. I doubt they will want to restore a 2010 Chevy truck. With all the fancy gadgets and computer junk on them. Good luck with your truck and keep it forever!
1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,969 | Congrats!!  It does feel good to drive it for the first time. And yes, something funny or silly usually happens the first time out. Enjoy it! The looks, smiles, laughs, waves, thumbs-up and even the occasional sneer or growl from an observer is fun. Have Fun Safely! 
Professional Novice
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 272 | Yup good memories mine sat in a field for 10-12 years. Brought her home again and cleaned the points, changed the oil and she STARTED  . Drove her around the block until the gas can hanging from the hood ran out, pushed it home and started the teardown. Brad | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 714 | Oh, Forgot to say, living in San Fran we have alot of tree huggin granola eatin Prias people. So they give me the dirty looks with my smelly exhaust. I tell them I am big into recycling... 1957 Chevy 1/2-Ton TruckIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pixThe coldest winter I ever saw was a summer I spent in San Francisco M. Twain If at first you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you! If you don't like my carbon foot print, stick it up your Prius!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Thanks 2oldchevys, for sharing the story! I look forward to having that experience when I'm done working her back to life... You know, it's really a fulfilling thing to be able to bring life back to a grand old vehicle. I'm so thankful for my dad, God rest his soul, for teaching me as a boy. Somehow I feel him smiling on my project! | | | | | | 2oldchevys Unregistered | | 2oldchevys Unregistered | Got the weatherstrip and such ordered, just waiting so I can put the windows back in and she'll be on the road. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 96 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2010 Posts: 96 | I have a 65 and a 66 in process currently. Well it sounds like I might have touched some nostalgic nerves with a few of you guys!  All I can say is thanks for your inputs and thanks for the shared memories. I will be looking forward to my next drive for sure. Right now I need to get some glass back in the windows and rubber around the doors so it will be safe and a little less breezy when driving. Thanks again for the comments gang! 2oldchevys 
Last edited by cletis; 10/25/2010 5:58 PM. Reason: removed personal question
66 GMC SWB 65 Chevy LWB 65 GMC SWB
918-446-2245
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 222 | Oh, Forgot to say, living in San Fran we have alot of tree huggin granola eatin Prias people. So they give me the dirty looks with my smelly exhaust. I tell them I am big into recycling... That's brilliant, I'm stealing your line for sure. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,842 | 2oldchevys, Remember, without pictures, it never happened. 
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
| |